addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Shore Permaculture Collaborative Message Board › Seed and Plant Sharing

Seed and Plant Sharing

A former member
Post #: 58
I have more seed potatoes than I can plant and would like the extras to find a good home. This would be a mixed group of spuds grown from certified (disease free) starts last year. 

You can grow potatoes in a small garden with the caging  method. A good opportunity for experimentation for those who want learn how to grow a high calorie, nutrient rich vegetable.

The mix contains a few fingerling types, yukon gold, russet, and few others.

Let me know soon as they need to get in the ground asap.

Tory
user 9165318
Rockport, MA
Post #: 7
Above Ground Tater Growing

Hi Charlotte!

I'm game to try a few in one of my FABRIC "smart pots!" (www.smartpots.com) They are supposed to be great for taters. For those who might be interested to grow taters in a small area without having to dig into the ground! You start five seed potatoes in the bottom and add mulch/soil as the plant grows. Supposed to harvest 13 lbs. Instructions and purchase of pot at www.gardeners.com.

If you want to build a wooden box for above ground tater growing there are instructions at: www.lifehacker.com/5202849/grow. They are advertising their system as 100 lbs of potatoes in 4 square feet!
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 11
Taters past and present

I've grown potatoes in 5 gallon buckets using the method Tory described. It's lots of fun, but doesn't yield large quantities, in my experience.

Charlotte, I'd love some potatoes!!
Tory
user 9165318
Rockport, MA
Post #: 25
I have two very small mint plants in a pot if anyone has a home for them!
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 20
I'll take the mint plants, or you can leave them in the pot, and they'll become BIG mint plants in a pot!
A former member
Post #: 100
My chocolate peppermint is running amok and needs to be thinned. Please feel welcome to take some rooted runners or just come over and harvest some of the herb. It's has a nice minty flavor with mild overtones of chocolate. Very healthy and vigorous!
Tory
user 9165318
Rockport, MA
Post #: 29
I'll take the mint plants, or you can leave them in the pot, and they'll become BIG mint plants in a pot!

Hi Iris! They are yours! Will bring them to the next meetup that we are both at, or to Charlotte's if that's easier! They are in a pot so they can grow away until you adopt them!

:)

Tory
A former member
Post #: 124
I have seeds from Russian red kale to offer. You can plant them now and expect a crop that should over-winter. Very tasty and extremely cold tolerant. They need to be planted now for fall/winter crop.

Email me if you want some and I'll mail them to you or you can pick them up here.

-Charlotte
A former member
Post #: 136
I have lots of seeds from purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), angelica (Angelica archangelica), and Elecampane (Inula helenium) to share. The seeds are better planted now as germination can benefit from a cold period.  These are attractive and potent plants that should be in your herb garden. Just let me know if you would like some seeds!
A former member
Post #: 163
I have perennial top setting onion bulbs to share. The bulbs should be planted
now...before a deep freeze.