addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Ozark Highlands Trail

Ozark Highlands Trail

Tom
user 3468459
Rockford, IL
Post #: 50
There is a long distance trail not too far from us in northwest Arkansas. At one time, it was 165 miles long, but now it has been extended to 245 miles. I would like to pick a section to hike for a week at the end of October. We'd have to check on water conditions with the Forest Rangers because of the ongoing drought in the area. If you are interested, here is a link to some topo maps:
http://www.ouachitama...­
A former member
Post #: 76
Sounds great Tom!
Tom
user 3468459
Rockford, IL
Post #: 51
OK. I checked at work and I can take either the week of Oct. 22 through 26 off or the week of Nov. 5 through 9. Fall colors are supposed to peak at the end of October. I'd like to cover about half of the original 165 miles. If we situated the vehicles on Saturday and got in 5 miles to camp, that'd leave around 80 miles. Completing 80 miles in 6 days would require around 13 miles per day. We could finish up on Friday.

I haven't ordered the guide book by Tim Ernst yet, but will. Let's do it in November. That way my ankle will have 13 weeks to recover.
Tanya
user 4464107
Dallas, TX
Post #: 70
Tom, Wendell has the guide book, third addition, if you want to borrow it.
Tom
user 3468459
Rockford, IL
Post #: 52
Hey John, I think that I should wait until Spring to do this long of a backpack. I'd hate to get started and my ankle give me problems. I may post a second group to the Guadalupes and camp one night with Tom D.'s group at Tejas. I've been wanting to do a 40+ mile route in 3 nights. I'd have an out if needed after 2 nights if I did that one.