17-18 St John Maddermarket, Norwich
8-week Self-Development Programme
An 8-week course aimed at helping you develop your confidence, self-esteem, and public speaking skills. Sessions will take place on a Monday evening on a weekly basis. Each session will last for 2-2.5 hours. We are expecting around 10-15 people. The focus of the sessions will be on public speaking practise and NOT on theory. This is also a great way to meet new people.
FACTS : Only 8% of people achieve their new year's resolutions simply because their goals are not SMART. That is, they are Not Specific, Measurable, Agreed upon, Realistic, Time-Based. If you have an action plan that is SMART, you are more likely to achieve your goal. If your goal is to become more confident, outgoing, social, extroverted, this course will help you.
This course is offered to you by Rise on a not-for-profit basis. Our goal is to help people overcome their fear of public speaking so they can voice their views without any fear.
You can view more about our courses via http://www.risetutors.co.uk/about.html - please see the middle column for our past course brochures.
Extremely suitable for those with a social anxiety and general anxiety
By the end of this course, we aim to achieve the following learning objectives:
- Give a 7-minute speech before an audience
- Project your voice to maximum ability as and when required
- Use hand gestures naturally and effectively to convey meaning
- Make full use of the stage space
- Use pauses within a speech to create emphasis
- Express a range of emotions effectively
- Be yourself in front of others
You will be doing activities directly focusing on each of the above components throughout the course. We wouldn’t expect you to just achieve these skills on your own.
We will be using repetitive reinforcement techniques so it becomes second nature to you.
At our sessions, people are not scared of failing.
This course is NOT about This course is NOT about the theory of public speaking, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) techniques or us giving you motivational speeches. Our sessions are always about practise, because we really believe there is no other way to develop the skills involved in public speaking. Just like you can’t learn to swim by reading a book.
During each session, we will give you numerous opportunities to practice your speaking. Throughout the sessions, you will also be able to give feedback on others’ speeches, which is public speaking in itself.
About Us and Public Speaking
We started in 2012 and across the years, we have given to the community in numerous ways. We are a group dedicated to helping people overcome their fears and to make them more confident people in society who are unafraid of voicing their views.
People often fear public speaking more than they fear death and end up not doing anything about it. What most 3 people don’t realise is that once you address this (greatest) fear, they become confident in doing many other things in life. Some examples include:
- Being able to speak to new people in social situations
- Being able to speak up in meetings
- Not letting other people walk over you
- Greatly boosting your career (by having more confidence and being more of a people person)
- Public speaking helping you to speak your mind
- And most importantly, learning how to not care about what others think of you. This is one of the greatest feelings in the world.
Our public speaking groups have been running for over a year. Along the way, our group has helped a number of people. Some real examples include:
- Someone who was not able to read out loud at university who then went on to running his public speaking group
- Another person, who had been scared of speaking in public now runs his public speaking workshops in London while making a career out of it
- A health worker who was terrified of going to work because of the pressure of having to speak in meetings. She confesses she now has a hard time staying quiet!
And then there are many people who had problems meeting new people due to low self-esteem or confidence who then became completely opposite in their character! We know this when - after a couple of months - the shy, timid person who had been sitting in the corner of the room in their first session, became popular and very talkative.
Being confident also makes you happier. For example, when you feel more powerful and more confident, you feel like you have more energy and more happiness.
Since we started, we have had people from all background and ages in our workshops. We have had medical professionals, lawyers, authors, students, retail workers, people who are looking for work and retired people. You name it, we have had them. What almost all of them had in common when they first started was that they were terrified of public speaking.
People mention that they experience various symptoms such as:
- Shaky legs
- Losing their voice
- Feeling tearful or crying
- Feeling as if they are going to faint
- Panic attacks :sweating, feeling light-headed
- Feeling an impending doom
These are just a few.
Our group is NOT about theory. We won’t be teaching you about the “psychology of public speaking” or use hypnosis, neuro-linguistic programming etc to make you better public speakers because, to be honest, there is no better way of learning how to overcome your fears than by actually doing it. However, the whole point of our group is not to throw you in at the deep end but to help you walk through the process slowly.
Why you will feel at ease with us
- You will never be picked to take part in any activity (we understand how difficult it can be to stand in front a group and we respect that)
- You are always in control. We have a “Pause” feature, where you can just say “pause” in the middle of any activity and go and sit down. You can then continue with it if you feel comfortable later in the session.
- Although we have set certain activities (milestones, speeches, presentation) for you to do along the course, you can opt in or out of any of them.
- You will be given the opportunity to declare any special requirements before you join the group. We will accommodate all requests to help you fully enjoy the course.
- You will be given a mentor, who will be someone who has gone through all the stages just like you. They will guide you when you need help.
- All the information you share with us is confidential and will not be passed on to the trainer or any other member of the group unless you ask us to. If we feel it is important that we share anything with the trainer, we will get your permission first.
How this course can help you
- Confidence - so you can be yourself before an audience You might be able to give a speech on a stage. However, you need to ask yourself - are you enjoying the experience? Our aim is to help you not care about what others think and help you be yourself.
- Improved career prospects Having the confidence to speak freely and express yourself will come in handy greatly in job interviews and also within a job. This way, you would be able to focus more on the subject matter and not on controlling your nerves.
- Make an impact We don’t give speeches just for the sake of it. Once we go past the initial fearful stage, we would want to make a point, make an impact and leave a footprint. When you are relaxed and thinking clearly, you will be able to do just that.
- Certificate of achievement You will be awarded a certificate on the final day of the course. However, you would need to have attended at least four out of the five sessions.
About the Trainer
All our contracted trainers and experienced in the field of performing arts.
We constantly assess our trainers to ensure they are delivering high-quality training we expect of them. During all our courses, our participants are given the opportunity to send us anonymous feedback about our training. We are very confident that you will love this course. However, in the unlikely event you are not happy about something, you will be able to send us comments using the anonymous feedback system. We will address all issues immediately.
Course Start Date
We aim to start on the 2nd of January 2017. This is subject to at least 10 people joining.
It will end on the 20th of February.
We are charging only £32 for the whole course (16 hours minimum). This works at around £1.88 per hour.
Please note we can only offer refunds if you let us know before the 19th of December.
How do I sign up?
You can signup by RSVP'ing to this event. Alternatively, you can transfer the funds to our bank account
Account name: Rise
Reference: Your Name
Once you have transferred the payment, please make sure you email us on [masked] immediately so we know you have paid. We will then manually add you to the RSVP list.
In the unlikely event, this course gets canceled, we will offer a full refund to all those who have paid. Although not likely, the venue is subject to change. However, if it changes, it will still be in central Norwich. If anyone who had paid is not happy with the new venue, we will refund them.
We cannot guarantee how may people will attend. However, as long as we get a minimum of 10 people signing up, the course will go ahead as planned. We won't be accepting any more than 20 people.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have attended any of your other courses to sign up for this one?
No. We get a mixture of people. Some of the attendees may be new to public speaking. A few others may have attended either one of our courses or weekly sessions.
I have always wanted to attend a course like this, but I never got around to do it mostly due to fear. Is it just me?
No. We hear this often and it is a very common thing. People may even sometimes take the train to the venue and turn back and go back home. The good thing about this course and all our sessions is that you will never be picked and you may just chose to observe until you feel comfortable.
There will always be exercises for you even if you do not feel like talking before an audience at all! For example, in the past we have had people with a phobia of public speaking who did not want to get up from their seat. One exercise we used to do was to ask everyone else to turn around and to get that person to say one sentence 7 while seated. This is just one activity we have in our trainer’s toolkit. Would you believe that almost all of these attendees ended up giving a long speech infront of the group after a few weeks? This is what gives us the motivation to continue our work.
I would just like to observe the sessions to begin with. Would I be the only one to do this?
The first session is always daunting. New people, new place and a new trainer. It is very normal to be worried. For this reason, attendees are always welcome to just sit among the audience and see how a session goes. People have done this on numerous occassions and almost every single person has just observed a session at some point before they started taking part.
What sort of people do you get on your courses?
We get attendees from various backgrounds. In the past we have had people in the age range 18 to 75. We get a good mixture of male and female. We have had people from more than at least 20 different nationalities.
My first language is not English. Should I work on my English first before I attend a course like this?
This is a very common question we get. And the answer is no! Being comfortable in public speaking will also help you feel comfortable about your day to day communication with others. We constantly get attendees whose first language is not English.
I have social anxiety and I am worried that I may not make any friends and be isolated. Any tips?
A high proportion of our attendees have social anxiety. People don’t usually attend our sessions with their friends. They just come along. People who come to our sessions are very polite, decent and respectful.
What if I feel embarrassed and I do not feel like facing the same people again?
Think of it this way. The whole point of this course is to bring together a group of people who want to improve their public speaking. We do not get experts attending... Everyone is in the same boat. If you do address this fear in this small group of like-minded people who already know that it is normal to be worried, you will not have any problems speaking in front of a group of strangers in the future. This is a ground for practice.
It is okay to make mistakes in this small group of non-judgemental people to help you prepare to face the world.
What will you focus on?
This is a public speaking course. However, rather than just focusing on the speaking side of it, this course will aim to improve your posture, body language, tone and voice projection. that there are enough people.
Where will this course lead to?
Following this course, we will have an advanced level course coming up. There will be a very good jump from this course to the advanced course. Email us for more details as we cannot release this information in early.
I have been asked to do a presentation at my university / work and this is really bothering me. Can you help me with this in any way?
We will actively help you if you are in this situation as we know how much this can bother someone. People often say that they cannot even sleep at night as they keep thinking about the day of their speech. This is very normal. If you are in a similar situation, do write to us and if you let us know at least 1-2 weeks in advance, we will try our best to arrange for you to practise your speech in a very safe non-judgemental enviornment many times! You do not even have to enrol on this course for this.
We invite anyone who needs such help to write to us.
Refunds offered if:
Payments you make go to the organizer, not to Meetup. You must make refund requests to the organizer.