addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Non-group book suggestions

Non-group book suggestions

Kendra
user 11328019
Rowlett, TX
Post #: 40
Here's a link to the book "Look Me in the Eye" that I mentioned during the House Rules book club discussion. Those of you who are interested the topic of Aspergers but weren't necessarily enchanted with Picoult's plotlines might like this one. It's the author's personal account of his life with Aspergers. I'm going to add it to my own library so let me know if you'd like to borrow it. :)

http://www.amazon.com...­
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 21
The Google Play store's having an ebook sale.
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 27
I just read a book called The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by WP Kinsella (who wrote Field of Dreams) and it was absolutely outstanding. It's like Gabriel Garcia Marquez grew up in Iowa a baseball fan. If you like baseball or the magical realism genre, take a look at it.

Also people suggested I put up A Game of Thrones for book club, but it's a long read and not everybody's cup of tea, so I'll just put it here. The Song of Ice and Fire series, which has five books the first of which being A Game of Thrones, is what they call "hard" fantasy, which is more real and less whimsical than, say, Harry Potter, but still has magic and mystical creatures in keeping with the genre. It's also more adult themed (if you seen the HBO series you know this already) with bloody murder, rape, incest, prostitution, etc. Writing-wise the author, George RR Martin, is no Faulkner but they're written well enough, and certain characters are extremely witty.
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 29
Just another quick note: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was surprisingly outstanding.
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 62
I've been a little busier lately, and haven't had enough time for much reading, but I've recently re-read my #2 all time favorite non-fiction book, The Art of Happiness; A Handbook for Living, by His Holiness The Dalai Lama and a psychiatrist named Howard Cutler. It's a great book. For those worried about Buddhist influences for whatever reason, I'd point out that it's almost entirely non-religious, or at least can be totally appreciated by those with secular or Christian sensibilities. (I'm not Buddhist myself, and don't ever intend to be, but I totally 'bought into' the book's main ideas.)
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 23
As I mentioned in my suggestion post, I originally nominated these two for the group to read, but after reading both and thinking more on it, they might not be everyone's cup of tea. So instead, I'll recommend it here for the one or two of you who might decide to check them out and love them as much as I do.

­Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr
­Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 151
Cisco, I've read part of Infinite Jest, but I did get sidetracked and haven't finished it. Have you finished it yet? If you're still working on it, I may move it back up the stack and see if I can make more headway this time. I was enjoying it, so I do want to finish it someday. I also seem to have similar interests in books as you, looking at your suggestions and comments in the other thread, so I'll probably be voting for everything you've suggested (unless I've already read it and don't want to reread due to lack of time!).

I don't want to recommend these for the book group, but if you like Nick Hornby and like to read books about books/reading, he has several books based on his columns in The Believer that I love. Basically, he lists the books he buys each month and the books he actually reads each month, and then he talks about them (and often goes off on tangents). They're really fun. The first one was The Polysyllabic Spree.
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 27
Julie, I think I've seen that bit about what he's been reading on Goodreads. It's something I only glanced at, but definitely want to take more time to get into. The ebook sharing community I'm part of posted the fourth one, More Baths, Less Talking, recently. I downloaded it, but I'm not sure if I should read the first three before I get to it, or if the sequence of it doesn't matter.

And yeah, I finished Infinite Jest. It took some time and I had to push myself through certain parts, but I was determined to get through it and was very glad I did. I highly suggest that you try and pick it up again. It was so good! I know one day soon, I'll have to go through and give it another read. If/when you read it, let me know. I still haven't found someone I can sit down and discuss it at length with.
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 157
You don't need to read the Nick Hornby books in order, so I'd suggest giving More Baths, Less Talking a try. That's the only one I haven't read yet.
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 29
i can definitely send you a link to the ebook if you want it.