addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group - 9/5/2010 and on

Books for the group - 9/5/2010 and on

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 48
Have we read this already? I remember someone recommending it late last year, and I wanted to read it - but the review is not necessarily glowing:

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Amazon: If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zoë, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama. (May)
A former member
Post #: 19
Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel. Mainly so I can discuss my anger and confusion or the various parts the book with someone. =-)

*Warning no actual animals were harmed in the making of the book but once again they are used in a manner that might make certain vegetarians queasy.
Heather
user 7051622
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 21
Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel. Mainly so I can discuss my anger and confusion or the various parts the book with someone. =-)

*Warning no actual animals were harmed in the making of the book but once again they are used in a manner that might make certain vegetarians queasy.

Sounds like my reaction to Life of Pi ;) I was furious & dying to review it on Amazon (with as few stars as Amazon would let me give it), but it wouldn't let me review that particular book. The author must have it rigged ;)
A former member
Post #: 53
Linda,
We haven't read "racing in the Rain" I know Virgil and somebody else talked about it. I have read it. Loved it and recommended it to everyone i know outside of book group.
It happens that like good movies, good books sometimes don't get good reviews.
A former member
Post #: 7
Ok, so here are my new recommendations...

1. In Hoboken, Christian Baumen. I really liked this book, I was sad that the book ended because it was like I was losing a whole bunch of people I came to know and like. Of course this book takes place in NJ and the main character is about my age, so that might have something to do with it....
2. The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov. A Russian novelist who comes under 500 pages- woo hoo.
3. Monsignor Quixote, Graham Greene. Or really anything by Graham Greene, this is just one of the books I have not yet read.
4. Steinbeck- Anything really,like the suggestons given so far, but I would add In Dubious Battle or Grapes of Wrath.

Can I vote down Catcher in the Rye? If I can't tough, just did. I was already a high school boy, don't need to revisit.
A former member
Post #: 49
Ohhhhh, that's an interesting proposal! The ability to cast a negative vote..... hmmmm.....
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 51
Allison, not to worry, I'm going to read Beatrice & Virgil sometime soon! I'll let you know, and we can discuss!

Thuy, I really like your suggestions. They'd all be great for discussion.

And before anyone votes down Jurassic Park just because of the movie, it was an excellent book. So much better than the movie. And a complete nailbiter! I loved it. WEll-done suspense.