addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Rodney
Crockett
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 3
I'm new to all of this and I've been doing some research and wondering about stoves...The Colorado'ins and a lot of west coasters seem to be hooked on wood burning camp stoves such as the Littlbug and the Emberlit. What do y'all think about twig burners?

Rodney
Phil
Drag-n
Hampton, VA
Post #: 21
Hi Rodney, with me weight is a huge consideration. My burner of choice is the pocket rocket and/or jet boil, the jet boil is a few ounces lighter. Both use propane/butane canisters. For winter, the canisters become cold and problematic and a white gas stove is preferred. Both Geardog (mule) and Biscuit and I have svea's from years ago, a modernized msr whisperlight is good (if it doesn't leak). I would nix a wood burning stove because you can't rely on having dry wood all the time or at all. My 2 cents. Phil
Rodney
Crockett
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 6
That makes good sense, but I do have a couple questions about propane/butane burners: What do the fuel canisters weigh? For a prolonged backpacking trip, doesn’t that weight add up? Are the canisters reusable, and if not, don’t you end up packing out dead weight? Sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions, but I try to take everything in to consideration. What if I used the Emberlit or Littlbug as a wind screen for a (back-up) alcohol burner? Thanks!

Rodney
Phil
Drag-n
Hampton, VA
Post #: 22
choosing a stove is like choosing a hat, there are many combinations and styles to select from.

My mantra is 'keep it simple', and I don't like to wash pots. I seem to go between propane/butane and white gas, simplest for me. I don't yet get alcohol stoves, but have seen several nice ones. Trailsurfer had one and used it to bail me out this summer when my propane canister ran dry.

I'm down to 7 stoves now, none alcohol. Just threw away my 20 yr old whisper lite after it leaked white gas and ignited during a test run this past weekend.
Rodney
Crockett
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 10
Thanks, Phil. I'll keep it all in mind. smile
A former member
Post #: 48
Phil has covered stoves really well. I only boil water, for rehydrating food and coffee. Since that is all I do I use a Jetboil. I personally love it, but it depends on what you plan on using it for. Like Phil, I hate to clean up pans or dishes. The canister for the propane/butane mix should last you for several trips. I use the smaller canister and I can get at least 4-5 trips before it runs out, and that includes heating water for others at times. We will be covering stoves at the 101. The pros and cons of what's out there. There is no right answer, but we will give you guys the information and you can use it to hopefully but something that fits how you plan on cooking.
Rodney
Crockett
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 17
So, I couldn't help my self. I bought an Emberlit UL Stove. I got it in the mail and and put it together. Not to bad, went together easy enough. Took me about 3 minutes to gather up some twigs, limbs and leaves. It started-up and was burning good in about 2 more minutes. From the time I placed my GSI stainless steel tea kettle to the point of boil was around 3.5 minutes! not bad. I like it. I'm probably going to look into jetboil stoves. But the twig burner is still an option.
A former member
Post #: 2
I have a pocket rocket, but i like to experiment and try to get things as light as possible. I did quite a bit of research on alcohol stoves and decided i could make one just as good as the ones you can buy. I followed this video i found on youtube (there are tons more videos on different styles this one just seemed simple to me). I have used mine about 4 or 5 times since making it with no problems yet. You can use denatured alcohol from Walmart but i found a deal on heet at Walmart last year so i bought enough to probably last a few years for about $4.
I carry about 4oz of heet in a tiny squirt bottle and it is usually more than enough to last a 1 or 2 night trip, but all i do is boil water for meals or coffee.
Rodney
Crockett
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 18
That's awesome! I think I have a new project for tomorrow. Between that and the Emberlit...I don't need to spend $120 for a jetboil. That works! Thanks for the link!
A former member
Post #: 5
Agree with Jason. My alcohol stove is great on weight and all I do is boil water anyway. I also have a small canister stove with the mini canisters (Snow Peak Giga Power) burn the best for the weight when alcohol might not work best. Both inexpensive and light on weight.