addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

OC Backpackers Message Board Backpacking Discussions › Backpacks...

Backpacks...

Jenna B.
HappyTeeth
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 13
Hi Rodney,

I have to agree. I have a 48 Osprey and had to jam everything in ( practically sit on it and I have great cinch straps) on our last winter trip. It can be done but I think a larger pack is more practical. Welcome! :)
Rodney
Crockett
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 16
Whoo! Great info, guys! That'll all be a big help. Phil, your breakdown helps a ton. Thanks guys!

I've been looking at Deuter. I like what I’m reading in regards to the Air Contact suspension system, the expandability and weight for the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 and the women’s ACT Lite 60+10. However, there’s not a lot of extra pockets…it’s pretty streamlined. They had one at Blue Ridge Mountain that I was looking at…though; their in-store selection seemed kind of skimpy. Well…

Thanks again for all the info, guys! smile
Mark U! ՟՜ ҉ ☺.
YukYukBahHah
Fairfield, CA
Post #: 124
I think that size would be perfect for someone new. not too big that you bring too much, but not so small that everything needs to be super compact. In summer I can get down to 35 L for a weekend trip, and use a 55 L for most of the rest of the year, and 75+10 L for extended trips
A former member
Post #: 4
Guess I am going to weigh in and suggest you all move the other way. I have a granite gear vapor around 3300 cubic inches weighs in a 2 pounds. I use it summer and winter. Good back support but basically a big bag. I have used it up to three week trips and it is what I used when I finished the Appalachian Trail last year. Packing light, bring only what you need not what you want saves on the knees and makes the days easy even if the terrain is not. I lead a number of these hikes and have watched people really exhausted at the end of the day with too much weight. Lots of ways to cut the weight and be glad to provide suggestions for anyone interested.