addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

OKC.js Message Board › March Lightning Talks 2017

March Lightning Talks 2017

Closed to new replies

Techlahoma
user 186454903
Group Organizer
Norman, OK
Post #: 1
This is the official March 21st Lightning Talk sign up sheet! Tell us what you'll be talking about, whether it'll be a 5 minute or 10 minute talk, & your name if it's not in your alias.

Deadline to sign up is March 3rd.

Everyone is welcome to sign up but we give preference to new presenters.

What are Lightning Talks?
Lightning Talks are a really fun event we put on every 3 months. Community members have 5 to 10 minutes to talk about JavaScript or topics related to JavaScript. We give preference to new speakers to strengthen our community. Common topics include: libraries, ways you've solved problems, what you're working on, or anything relating to JS.

Please note that marketing pitches are not allowed; lightning talks are a community enrichment event.
Dale S.
user 74485612
Oklahoma City, OK
Post #: 1
I'd like to do a talk about protractor and how we use it to run automated smoke tests every 5 minutes to ensure our applications are performing correctly.
Jessica
seejessicacode
Norman, OK
Post #: 23
I'd like to do a talk about protractor and how we use it to run automated smoke tests every 5 minutes to ensure our applications are performing correctly.
Hi Dale! Will this be a 5 or 10 minute talk?
Dale S.
user 74485612
Oklahoma City, OK
Post #: 2
Hi Dale! Will this be a 5 or 10 minute talk?
Hey Jessica! This will be a 10 minute talk.
Mike B.
user 180361042
Oklahoma City, OK
Post #: 2
I'd like to do a 5m talk about getting kids excited about programming with johnny-five. I've recently been volunteering with code.org, and our local schools could definitely use some help. I would just do a quick demo of some of the johnny-five stuff I've been showing classes around okc, and then try to recruit more folks to sign up as a volunteer at code.org.
Jessica
seejessicacode
Norman, OK
Post #: 24
We normally have our lightning talk lineup figured out by now but our sign ups are light this round, so I'm leaving this thread open for now.

Our Lightning Talk lineup:

• Daniel Spoonemore - "Automated Smoke Tests with Protractor" (10 min)
  • Mike Bockus - "Get Kids Excited About Programming with Johnny-Five" (5 min)

The talk titles were just guesses of mine. We'll be in touch with the speakers to finalize details.

We do lightning talks every 3 months, so our next lightning talk will be June 20th. We'll have the next signup thread posted before our May meetup.

Edit: Bummer, Daniel had to cancel! Maybe next time!
Jonathan Y.
Blazedd
Oklahoma City, OK
Post #: 4
I'd love to give a 10 minute talk!

Building robust job queues with bull!

- or -

Grabbing job queues by the horns, with Bull!
Brent S.
user 117766402
Norman, OK
Post #: 10
I told Daniel Ashcraft from FreeCodeCamp about possibly giving a talk next month, but I could always go early and show what I've got. It involves visualizing RDF data with D3. It's here and it is in JavaScript: https://github.com/bs...­

Continuing Sagas of Data Processing for Directed Graphs - From P5 to D3 (5-10)

ekk..If Daniel has spots open I could do that instead. I jumped ship at the same time time the new month for FCCokc was announced. Whatever works.
Brian
user 114224172
Norman, OK
Post #: 5
Talk Title: Request for Information for a Future Talk: Stop Burying Bodies
Sub title: Solve the problem, not the symptom.

Length: 5 minutes

Description: As a professional programmer, I regularly run into code with quick fixes that resolve a problem so it works correctly but actually hides the problem. However, the “buried bodies” pop up later and cause additional problems within the code.

For this lightning talk, I would like to query the development community and members of OKCJS as to their experiences with these kinds of problems and I will share one or twp as an example. The hope is to collect enough examples and connections to present a deeper presentation on the topic in the future.

Carmen L.
user 148969902
Oklahoma City, OK
Post #: 7
If you need an extra talk, I can do a talk about getting started with react. talk would probably be about 10 minutes. pretty basic. just talk about getting started, resources, and a short demo project I built.