addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Sam L.
slisook
Plano, TX
Post #: 4
So, today at 8:30 PM many people and municipalities will be turning off lights for one hour symbolizing concern for action on climate change. The symbolism of turning off lights is chilling. I suggest we celebrate the lights coming back on at 9:30 PM.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 960
Hahah.
I have read some people wanting to turn on extra lights during this time, but I think that is wasted effort.
I like your idea. I think it is a good idea to try to save on electricity and see if you can get the most out of what you have. However, the premise of this event is silly. Really - show your support for Earth by pretending to be in the dark ages (pun intended) for an hour?

No thank you.

I may just take that hour to chase my cats around with this little laser light pen I have. =)
A former member
Post #: 70
semi-related... An acquaintance was discussion this article, which basically says our brains are hardwired to seek out gods/religion. On the surface I just dismissed it as BS.

...but then I started thinking about all the seemingly rational, non-religious folk I know that are so deeply bought in on the green movement. ... almost, well, in a religious fashion. And it made me start to wonder.

I know this contradicts the whole tabula rasa development model... but I was just sort of trying to comprehend how that sort of religious fervor gets integrated into someone that seems so rational.

(Don't get me wrong... I am as cheap as they come. And there are bits and pieces in the green movement that are or will be money savers... and I am whole heartedly for those. But ideas like spending $100 in diesel fuel to drive a recycling truck to recycle $4 worth of plastic to save the planet -- well, I have a hard time with stuff like that.)
A former member
Post #: 55
Define "unneeded".

I will celebrate "Earth Hour" by behaving the way I always do - by rationally utilizing my production.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 962
I solemnly promise not to litter during that hour. =)
Someone on FB pointed out it isn't really that big of a deal - and, no it isn't. However, I think (though I can only speak for myself) that sometimes these types of little events feel like they are pushed in my face, and so it is fun to reject them with smart a$$ery and little quips, etc.

However, I think just doing what we always do is enough. Saving electricity makes absolute since, and I think is in one's self interest (light bill, for example). However, I see an event like this as meaningless. Instead, we should be thinking about how we can make the best use of the Earth without screwing it up so that in the future we cannot utilize it properly.

This leads me to this thought: I care very much about the Earth, but of course cannot call myself an enviromentalist because of the extreme connoctations of that word. Therefore, I will just refer to myself as "enviromentally conscious". Basically being aware and appreciating that it isn't in my self interest to litter, to be wasteful, or utilize the earth in a manner that will call long term harm.

That's what I am trying to live by, and teach my kids, because I do value having clean water, clean air, and decent scenery. I think it is absolutely possible to do this without encroaching on the property rights of others.
Sam L.
slisook
Plano, TX
Post #: 5
Another idea, Human achievement hour: http://cei.org/human-...­.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 963
Thanks for the link!
I think I played Scrabble on my cell phone during this period, celebrating the achievement of Hasbro.
A former member
Post #: 71

I think I played Scrabble on my cell phone during this period, celebrating the achievement of Hasbro.

Doesn't Nokia or SonyEricsson or LG or Motorola get cred too? :)

...sorry, used to work for a cell phone maker.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 964
Ah yes...I forgot...Samsung.