addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Working on my wedding ceremony/vows

Working on my wedding ceremony/vows

David V.
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 180
In just a few months, Sarah and I will get married in Maroon Bells National Park in Aspen, Colorado.

We are creating our ceremony from scratch, and I am writing our vows. I have asked my friends and searched online to see what their ceremony was, but I have not found much. No one I've found had a wedding of our scope. I intend to put a lot of thought into the ceremony and publish it online as a template for others. Would anyone here care to share their wedding with me? What made it different from a traditional wedding?
A former member
Post #: 86
I'm no help at all. I eloped to Vegas.
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,004
Mark. Wow. That is very cool.

David - I am just bumping this up to the top - I don't have any suggestions for you either.
David V.
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 183
The website for our upcoming wedding is up at DavidLovesSarah.RationalMind.Net­. We used quotes from Ayn Rand, Robert A. Heinlein, Bruce Lee, and Lucille Ball.

A former member
Post #: 149
the website's lookin' good! only trouble is the ceremony's like a week and a half before Reece's due date so I have to invent teleportation now! No discounts for you when I do!

The most obvious themes in yours and everyone else's wedding is Independence, aka originality. I think the DIY wedding is the perfect way to express your respective self-made person's love for one another. Your not having anyone else's spouse so why have their wedding?

But then the things that are the same in every marriage, such as love and commitment, should still come out in every wedding no matter how original. What I look forward to, and I think what people will get the most enjoyment out of, is seeing what gets emphasized and what goes without saying.

Much of the traditional wedding ceremony can be tossed out if you ask me. There shouldn't be anyone "giving away" the bride because she's her own person and she's there of her own volition. You shouldn't turn your back on your friends and parrot a preacher who parrots a scripture that you're not even supposed to understand rationally anyway. You should face your friends because really that's what weddings are about anyway. You two obviously know each other well enough to dedicate your lives to each other exclusively, we'd like an explanation please. That's where your vows come in.

Of course this is all just my opinion. I wouldn't want a veiled bride because I'm not seeing her for the first time, I know exactly who she is, and I know exactly what I'm doing and why. But maybe you like veils because the right color at the write transparency brings her eyes out like nothing else. So it really doesn't matter what you're doing as long as it's deliberate.

As an example, they spectacle of a young girl dragging seven inflatable cows in lieu of flowers down the aisle isn't what I'd call traditional (or much of what else went on at my father's most recent wedding), but it was a prop in a story about a sailor who falls in love with an island girl who was never thought much of by her parents. Island tradition was to give a goat or a cow to the father of the bride as a gift. The sailor brought seven cows, which were refused (might make the local royalty jealous), but the sailor hitched them to the home of his beloved anyway and left. It was a gesture that says "I've made up my own mind about this woman, and it won't change for you or even the king." The cow-shaped balloons were symbolically tied to a miniature hitch during the ceremony, the hitch was signed by all the guests, and that hitch sits as a greeting by the front door of the home they share together a decade or so later.

Again it's not something I would do, but memorable nonetheless; perhaps more so.