addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Olympia Jazz Central Message Board › Lizzy Boyer at the Royal Last Night

Lizzy Boyer at the Royal Last Night

Terry L.
TerryLiberty
Olympia, WA
Post #: 9
My wife and I went to hear Lizzy Boyer, Joe Baque, Steve Luceno and Richard Lopez last night at the Royal and really enjoyed our evening.

The group did an evening of swing music tailored for dancing and they did a superb job! As always, Luceno and Baque swing like gates as rhythm workers with no need of a drummer. Lizzy was new to us, only having heard her at the Jazz Jam at Traditions the Sunday before. New to us or not, she obviously isn't new to performing, singing and even dance instruction. She began the evening with some basic swing dance lessons and proceeded to deliver some very savvy vocal renditions of swing-era tunes. I won't say she "belted" since that's not her vocal style but her sense of swing and her understanding of the emotional content of these tunes was solid. For a person who loves music from this era, it's nice to see someone in Boyer's age group who has clearly been paying attention.

The only rub was what seems to be a complete lack of publicity. Unless Richard Lopez hadn't told us about the coming event during Sunday's jam, we wouldn't have known about it. There was nothing in the Daily O, nothing on the Royal's website, nothing at Oly Jazz Central (Really?), and nothing on Joe Baque's web site. It may have been on Boyer's Facebook page but since her name isn't a household word (yet) I wouldn't have known to go there.

My guess is that Lizzy and her group will become a well known attraction pretty quickly, assuming they start promoting themselves. Steve Luceno told us that the plan is to do a regular swing dance thing at the Royal twice a month.

They're good. Go hear them and be prepared to dance when you get there.

Terry Liberty