New to the area. Work nights during the week so Sat is my main free day. Looking to get to know the local dive spots!

5 replies

Comments (5)
    • Some of the spots can get pretty busy. Alexander Springs is west of Astor, would be about an hour north of you. There are classes there every weekend, but things calm down by midday. Water is crystal clear. Another nice fresh water dive is rainbow river. This would be a drift dive about 45 minutes. Rainbow river is about a half hour from crystal river. Rainbow can be very busy in the summer particularly on weekends. I did that dive in November and we were alone on the river. The inlets and near shore diving from about Vero Beach north is pretty slim. There’s just no viz. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea supports kayak diving because the reefs are so close in. I hope this helps. Welcome to the area.

last year
      • One other very cool spot is Blue Heron Bridge at Phil Foster park in West Palm. It’s rated as some of the best shore diving in the world. The only trick with the bridge is you have to dive it at slack high tide, you have to time it right. Because of the narrow window of opportunity, it can get busy, but well worth it.

last year
        • Awesome! Thanks for the info :) hoping to get some time free on a weekend here soon and may have to check it out! I hve my all my own gear except tanks (didn't have room in my car when I drove cross country). So will have to pick those up from one of the many dive shops.

last year