The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!
What You Need to Play
In order to participate in D&D Adventurers League games, you’ll need the following:
- The basic rules; This PDF document is available for free on the Wizards of the Coast website. It contains all of the basic rules of the game, and you can create a character with it. More options for characters are available in other products.
- A character sheet; You can use an official D&D Adventurers League character sheet, or any other D&D character sheet that suits you.
- A D&D Adventurers League adventure logsheet; You’ll use this to record each session of play, keeping track of your experience, treasure, and other notes.
- A DCI number; This is an official Wizards of the Coast organized play number. It’s obtainable at public events; ask the organizer for one the first time you play.
Creating a Character
Follow these simple steps to create a legal 1st-level character: Additional information is available in the D&D Adventurers League Player’s Guide.
- (Optional) Pick an additional sourcebook. All characters have access to player options in the Player’s Handbook® and basic rules, but you can select an additional book to expand your character. Current options are Elemental Evil Player's Companion (Free) and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (MSRP $40) (Volo's Guide to Monsters arrives in November with a MSRP of $50)
- Choose a race.
- Choose a class.
- Determine ability scores. Don’t roll for ability scores; use either the standard set (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or customize your scores as listed in the Player’s Handbook, using 27 points.
- Describe your character. Pick your character’s name, alignment, ideals, bonds, flaws, background, and faction. You can’t play a neutral evil or chaotic evil character. You can only play a lawful evil character if you belong to certain factions (Lords’ Alliance and Zhentarim).
- Choose equipment. Take starting equipment as determined by your character class and background.
The Five Factions
There are five factions available for play in the D&D Adventurers League.
- The Harpers are a scattered network of spellcasters and spies who advocate equality and covertly oppose the abuse of power.
- The Order of the Gauntlet is composed of faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who protect others from the depredations of evildoers.
- The Emerald Enclave is a widespread group of wilderness survivalists who preserve the natural order while rooting out unnatural threats.
- The Lords’ Alliance is a loose alliance of established political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity.
- The Zhentarim is an unscrupulous shadow network that seeks to expand its influence and power throughout Faerûn.