Skepticamp is a user-driven mini-conference on science, skepticism and critical thinking. Our 2015 event features a live Reality Check podcast, 5-15 minute talks on a variety of topics, and a kids' program.
This November 15th, join CFI and the Ottawa Skeptics for our fifth open conference event, Skepticamp Ottawa 2015.
Skepticamps, modeled on the BarCamp approach of non-curated, user-driven content and participation, are entertaining, educational and informative events in a relaxed environment. The overall theme is science, skepticism and critical thinking.
This year we are at the Hintonburg Community Centre, Basement #2. Come along to listen to some great talks, ask questions, and meet interesting people!
There will be a separate kids' program.
The Reality Check will be doing a live Podcast. (http://www.trcpodcast.com/)
If you can’t make the full day, feel free to just drop in for the talks you want to see. We look forward to seeing you there!
To give us an idea of attendance please RSVP.
10:00AM – DOORS OPEN
10:30AM – WELCOME (Marlowe Filippov)
• Fusion Power: Are we there yet? (Dana Peters)
• Stand up for Science: March Against Myths About Modification (Andrea Palmieri)
• Racism Within North America: The Logistics (R.J. Pate)
11:20AM – 11:35AM – BREAK
• The scientific method, practices and principles (Alan DeKok)
• Hume in the MRI (Steve Watson)
• Does the chickenpox vaccine cause shingles? (Seanna Watson)
12:20PM – 01:20PM – LUNCH
• Live Taping of The Reality Check Podcast (Darren McKee, Adam Gardner)
• Science, Skepticism, and Minecraft (Nic Watson)
• Greyhound Mythconceptions (Anthony Glaser)
02:45PM – 03:00PM – BREAK
• E-cigarettes: Understanding the evidence (Melodie Tilson)
• Cognition and Bias: Effects of Stereotype Threat on Performance. (Yara Kadulina)
• Always keep an open mind (but not so open that your brain falls out) (Seanna Watson)
• 2015 Top 10 lies, conspiracies, and general BS (Julian Janes)
4:15PM – 05:00PM – MIX & MINGLE