addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Ottawa Women's Leadership Network Message Board › Why Talk About Fashion?

Why Talk About Fashion?

Colette K.
user 196814059
Group Organizer
Ottawa, ON
Earlier this fall, my husband and I went for a day of "back to work" shopping for ourselves. I was struck that he could simply ask the clerk "what do you have in a 40 Regular" to see his options. He had wardrobe was updated for the fall within an hour (he did add in some new fancy socks and some shirts too).

I was digging through the racks to look at skirts, tights, pants (ankle or traditional), blazers, sweaters, suits, accessories and a least a half dozen shoes - heels, flats, boots and booties in different colors. And these were just the basics.

That is one reason our group is talking women, fashion and work on Nov 23rd. It seemed like an obvious topic to me.

But, when I was looking for our amazing guest speaker Mary Ciancibello, I received a few comments on facebook questioning why I was focusing on this topic? One woman asked "isn't this just perpetuating the problem".

My answer to that is, no. We perpetuate problems when we ignore them. We perpetuate problems when we blame others for them. We perpetuate problems when we don't take back our power.

We DO NOT perpetuate problems but acknowledging them, sharing our views about them, or empowering ourselves and others with the tools to address them.

Let's face it. "Looking right" is part of what makes being a professional woman hard. Here are just some of the challenges:

- Feeling comfortable and confident in our choices (and feeling like ourselves)

- Keeping up with changing seasons, trends and styles

- Dealing with fluctuating weight gain/loss due to a variety of factors (babies, age, health)

- Managing costs

- Finding the right "look" and accessorising with confidence

And if that isn't reason enough to come. Mary Ciancibello is amazing! She has a wide range of experiences in helping people in the public and private sectors take control and help people communicate with style. https://maryciancibel...­

See you there!