May 5, 2013 · 9:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
The weather forecast is looking wonderful this Sunday (25C!!) and we are going to take on mighty Mt. John Laure AKA Yamnuska. A certain physical fitness is required and if you're uneasy around heights, please review this presentation to determine if you are okay with this activity: http://tinyurl.com/3maaoop (Thank you, Sir Kevin Tsang)
Hike/scramble to the top of Mount Yamnuska by lunch, enjoy the sunny day, run down the scree slopes and make it back in town by late dinner time.
(total time: 4-8 hrs, depending on how slow we go)
So that you know what you' are getting into, please check out the link which is a preview of what to expect.
- Comfy supportive backpack to hold this stuff (no sherpas or pack mules)
- 2-3 liters of water
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Sturdy shoes (I've taken people up in running shoes, but I don't recommend it and if you have only sandals, you're not coming - safety issue)
- Sun protection (hat/sunscreen/sunglasses)
- Rain jacket/windbreaker (it gets colder at the top)
- Clothes suitable for hiking (work out clothes, avoid cotton and jeans)
- Gas money (~$10)
- Hiking poles
- Gaiters (think nylon leg warmers that keep rocks out of your shoe)
- Dry fit type clothes (synthetic clothes for layers)
- change of clothes (including shoes/sandals) for the ride back
- Victory snack/drink
- Garbage bag in case your things are muddy (courtesy for drivers)
Drivers: Thank you for offering to drive and provide rides for others. Please comment on the board and indicate how many people you're willing to offer rides to.
Passengers: Please email the drivers directly and request a ride. Simply RSVPing to this event does not guarantee you a spot in the car. It's your responsibility to arrange a ride with a driver. Please update the following spreadsheet once you have confirmed a ride:
N.B.: If you have a no show recorded against you, i.e., you have cancelled after the RSVP deadline on a previous occasion, you will be kept on the waiting list till the RSVP deadline. Then, if there is a spot available and there are no other people on the waiting list, you will be welcome to join the event. As well, please refrain from requesting or offering rides until your place is confirmed.
(Photo Credit: Chuck Szmurlo)