What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Here is a brief list of events we are working on for Autumn.
Following a long and interesting meeting with our friendly local expert Geoffrey Tyack we have agreed to schedule the following evens :
* Merton College and St Edmunds college - back to back. Geoffrey will take us around these two of the 'founding three' Oxford Colleges ( University College claims to be the third). Both colleges have architectural and historic elements going back to the 13th century.
* St. Catherine's College (re- visited) and Wadham College - back to back. These two colleges taken together show good examples of both Grade II listed 'modernist' interpretations and (with Wadham) a 'postmodernist' internal 'street'.
* Chastleton Hlouse . Located near Chipping Norton this is a further example of Jacobean architecture that again has a historic connection with the English Civil War.
* Abingdon. A special favourite of Geoffrey's this ancient town has some surprising treasures.
* A second Christmas lecture this one by Geoffrey. We are working on a topic but Geoffrey has agreed to give a lecture. It would be great if this happens after our St, Cats. Wadham visit as the lecture could be on 'From Modernism to Postmodernism - and back again'.
* A possible addition: University Museum (re visited) and Keble College - back to back: The aim will be both in depth understanding of the architecture together with the interrelationship between these two iconic Oxford buildings. The proviso is getting agreement with the 'bursar' at Keeble - which can be a bit awkward.
So that's it for now. We also have an ongoing effort to oi some 'research' into the 'quaintness' of the Cotswolds together with asking questions of the Conservation Board in Northleach about just how the boundary is decided upon - and why a particular village has been omitted. There will be a separate announcement about these efforts for those who may be interested.