As Melody writing is such a big and important subject, we're going to explore it over more than one meeting. In between the Melody sessions, we'll explore other topics (e.g. Lyric writing, Harmony etc).
In this first session on melody (Melody 01), we'll look at:
• Scales (major, minor, & modal) - their different structures, characters and musical potential
• 'structural' and 'non-structural' notes in a melody
• the effect of different melodic (pitch) shapes and intervals
• managing rhythm and phrase lengths
• tips on vocal range, hooks, riffs, and use of silence in melody writing
As usual, there'll be some songwriting exercises, as well as learning a little bit of (non-scary!) theory behind it all, and some song study.
Most of us usually go to the café over the road afterwards, and carry on talking and swapping ideas and music stories ...
Please do book early. It helps to get an idea of who is coming.
PS. We've had two great meetings already. You can find out more about those by looking at:
1. The Songwriting Pentagon (http://oxfordsongwriting.com/resources/the-songwriting-pentagon/) and Oxford Songwriting Syllabus (http://oxfordsongwriting.com/resources/oxford-songwriting-syllabus/), and
2. Finding a Big Idea to focus your song (http://oxfordsongwriting.com/finding-a-big-idea-to-focus-your-song/) - working on Big Ideas and Titles.