addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Oxford On Board Message Board › Discussion thread for 'What do you think of the 'New Meetup'?

Discussion thread for 'What do you think of the 'New Meetup'?

Jacco
JoaG
Crewe, GB
Post #: 121
Please use this thread to discuss Meetup and it's changes.
Kirsty M.
kirstymcneil
Sheffield, GB
Post #: 71
I think the lack of consultation with meet up organisors is the worst thing about it.

Removing the "maybe" option was bad, and now there's talk of removing the "no" option as well.

I think a mailshot to all organisors explaining the changes before they happened would have gone a long way. The default setting of allowing all members to create events by the back door - ie by listing an idea and then 3 people "liking" it thereby turning it into an event - was very bad, and it took a few days for my walking group to find out that we could change that and have now done so.

The bugs are a fairly major issue - the home page events list often shows incorrect numbers of people and shows events as full that aren't, it also has an issue of carrying over the cost of an event to a later one, so again using the walking group as an example, one of the walks now shows as costing £9.49, whereas that was the price for the meal out the night before.

The map image is a pain, because often a map is irrelevant and intrusive.
Terry O.
user 12113117
Oxford, GB
Post #: 14
I think the way that the next meetup shows up at the top of the home page and includes comments is a huge improvement. Previously it was just rather old posts and news about people joining, many of who were just checking out the site. The new way encourages discussion about the upcoming meet-up which is much better.
Jacco
JoaG
Crewe, GB
Post #: 126
Okay, barring some pretty drastic changes, my mind is pretty much made up. The following quote comes from a large explanation about the 'Bigger Picture':

Then MEETUP found that it could be used as a very powerful tool to mobilize masses of people. It was tested in the political arena. Scott "Saw the future" of what it could do. It is now a free (yes, your organizer dues are funding it) platform for politicians, social movements and companies to mobilize masses of people. The slogan is "TURN YOUR FOLLOWERS INTO A MOVEMENT"

I'm sorry? My little boardgaming group is funding your political ideas?

I know this is just one quote, but various other postings on Scott Heiferman's plans are all over the Organiser's Discussion Forum. And this is not what I joined Meetup for. So, my current plans are to start the movement off Meetup and onto a new platform. The current payment runs out around mid August, so I'll leave the group up until July at least. By that time I expect to have set up the new platform, and will invite people to move across. I will be actively closing the group, and taking off any material currently posted here.

It's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is. sad
Kirsty M.
kirstymcneil
Sheffield, GB
Post #: 72
all I can say is hmmm to that quote

have you got a link to it? would like to read it in full if possible
Jacco
JoaG
Crewe, GB
Post #: 127
Found in this thread: http://www.meetup.com...­.