addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Pasadena Area Screenwriting Group Message Board › V.O. and O.S.

V.O. and O.S.

Mike L.
magicfan
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 27
Hey guys, I know we've talked about this before, but I have a new dilemma regarding V.O. and O.S. in my script.

I know if we hear someone who isn't at the location we currently see on the screen (but we'll be cutting to them shortly), it should be "V.O.". I think that's what I'm supposed to do when I have those Archer-style intros in my Archer script, where they show an establishing shot of a building, someone speaks, then they cut to the interior.

However, I'm looking at a few Archer scripts, and each instance of this is labeled with "O.S.", even though the speaking character isn't just a few feet off screen, but they are inside the building that we are looking at while they speak. I hope all this makes sense.

In short, I feel like V.O. is the right way to go, but O.S. is written in the real scripts. What do you guys think?
A former member
Post #: 1
Both are problematic. Since "O.S" implies that the characters on the screen can hear the words being spoken, I think that's the lesser of the two options. Though "V.O" does imply narration that no one other than the audience can hear, which isn't quite right for your script either.

Which is why you might want to go with Option C and use the "Pre-Lap" term Matt first mentioned, as shown here:

http://screenwriting....­