This workshop is run by DataStax (http://www.dotscale.eu/partner/datastax), silver partner of dotScale 2014 (http://www.dotscale.eu).
In this half-day session, you’ll learn about Data Modeling in the New World with Apache Cassandra(™). Johnny will give you a quick overview of the Cassandra architecture for new-comers, but will swiftly move into the depths of data modeling with Cassandra, CQL, data modeling framework and case studies. There will be the chance to try the data Modeling exercises yourself.
1) Introduction to Cassandra - core concepts, availability, scalability, security - appropriate hardware - use cases for Cassandra 2) CQL and Data Modelling - Detailed overview of CQL - Data Modelling Approaches - Timeseries data example
3) Native driver and protocol - An overview of the native driver and protocol - Tips and examples using the Java Driver
5) Cassandra 1.2, 2.0 and up-coming 2.1 - An overview of the functionality and features in these versions
4) Hands on workshop (optional and time permitting) - Build a very simple Java application connecting to and querying Cassandra
• You will need a 64-bit laptop with 8GB of available RAM and 20GB of free hard drive space.
• You'll need to install the appropriate VMWare player for your operating system and download the VM and material for the hands on workshop here: http://bit.ly/1sNnrtO .
This is an Ubuntu VM that comes installed with DSE 3.2/Cassandra 1.2 and the Eclipse IDE.
Please ensure the VM starts correctly as it will be required for the hands on workshop.
Host: Johnny Miller, Lead Solution Architect at DataStax
More info at http://www.dotscale.eu/workshops#datastax