Who has not seen a submarine movie in their lifetime. Have you ever wondered how submariners live inside a submarine, how they eat, sleep, entertain themselves, communicate with the outside world while under way and of course work for months at a time and maybe just to see how big it is inside. Do you like being treated as a VIP; a personal tour answering all your questions and curiosities. If so, this is your opportunity to see it all for yourself. This is the coolest ride we have ever done, a Nuclear Submarine, not a museum piece but a modern day Nuclear Submarine (Boomer). This is a submarine that has what is called the “Sherwood Forest” of Missile tubes and a Special Operations Submarine, one where Navy SEALS operate out of. Our tour will be on either be the USS Florida or the USS Georgia.
We have a Saturday, 28 September 10:30am tour scheduled by the Submarine’s Executive Officer (XO), and we have 36 open slots for riders to come along. The tour will last approximately 45 minutes and after that we will ride to the “Chow Hall” (or Base Dining Facility) and eat lunch. This will be an “over-nighter” ride, riders will have to arrange for a hotel room in Kingsland GA and be ready to go by 9:00am Saturday morning.
Riders who decide to attend the ride will have to abide by US Navy Safety procedures to ride on Kings Bay Navy Base. In order to obtain a base pass, Riders will have to have the following safety gear with them:
• DOT Helmet
• Reflective vest for you and your passenger
• Full Fingered gloves for you and your passenger
• Long Sleeve Shirt for you and your passenger
• Long pants for you and your passenger
• Over the ankle Boots for you and your passenger
• Driver’s License with a motorcycle endorsement and Insurance card with you
STAR and I will be staying at the Hampton Inn, Kingsland, but you can stay wherever you wish, all the hotels are basically in the same place. There is a Cracker Barrel that all the hotels surround, so if your hotel does not provide breakfast, you can get something to eat before we meet. Local Kingsland Lodging options are:
• Hampton Inn – 102 Reddick Road, Kingsland, GA 31548, hamptoninn3.hilton.com, (912)[masked]
• Baymont by Wyndham - 105 May Creek St, Kingsland, GA 31548, wyndhamhotels.com, (912)[masked]
• Travelodge - 1224 Boone Ave, Kingsland, GA 31548, travelodge.com, (912)[masked]
• Super 8 - 1220 Boone Ave, Kingsland, GA 31548, wyndhamhotels.com, (912)[masked]
The ride plan is as follows:
Friday, 27 September – riders make their way to Kingsland GA, arrive when they can. STAR and I will depart from the 301 Family DIner at 9:00am. You are welcomed to ride with us.
Saturday, 28 September:
8:30am - all Riders meet at the Hampton Inn. We will do a pre-Safety briefing to ensure everyone has the required Safety gear with them.
• 9:00am - KSU for Kingsbay Navy Base
• 9:30am – Arrive at KIngsbay Navy Base Main Gate
• 9:40am – Meet Navy Public Relations Sailors, and obtain a Base Pass
• 10:00am – Escort onto Kings Bay toward Submarine Docks
• 10:30am – Meet Submarine XO, divide into groups, start tour
• 11:30am – Tour concludes, Riders meet back at motorcycles
• 11:45am – Riders depart for Base “Chow Hall”.
• 12:00pm – Arrive Chow Hall – Lunch (approx. $7:00 per person)
• 1:00pm – Lunch concludes, Riders meet back at motorcycles
• 1:00pm – KSU, depart Kings Bay Navy Base
• 1:20pm – Gas stop, before entering I-95
• 1:40pm – Depart Kingsland on I-95 South
• 2:30pm – Stop, I-10/Hwy 301
• 3:30pm – Stop, Ocala Hwy 326
• 4:30pm – Stop, Hwy 50/I-75
• 6:30pm – Arrive Tampa Bay
All Patriotic Riders and their “Significant Other” are invited to come along, unfortunately, no children under 18 years of age are allowed. Please RSVP for this ride by 20 September if you plan on attending, I expect all 36 slots to be taken. If by 20 September we still have open slots I will invite Non-Patriotic Riders to come along.