Hello guys, most of you already know what this meetup is all about (meeting new people & talking!) But I want to try a little something different.
If you have not been to one of these awesome Coffee & Conversation Meetups (thank you Ben Cole for starting them), they typically work like this: people show up, get split into groups, and given a set of questions relating to a particular topic. There are three rounds, with three sets of questions each round. And at the beginning of each round people stand up and rotate.
I am keeping the format mostly the same, except for a few things,
- I would like to get four rounds in the time we have.
- Usually mixing up the groups does not work out so well, so I will help in splitting up the groups to try and make sure you guys get to meet new people each round.
- Instead of a specific topic, I will have lots of questions that will be written out on 3x5 flashcards (about 100 of them).
This is the way the meetup will hopefully work,
1. People will start showing up, and begin to split themselves into the first groups for the first round of questions. I will be walking around at this point, and handing out the stacks of questions, evenly split among the groups, and placing them face down in the center of each group's table.
2. When everyone is situated in a group (probably about 10:30 am) we will start. Anyone from the group can turn over the first flashcard on top of the deck and see what question you get. If it is a great question for the group, awesome! If not, simply draw the next card, and see what the next question is.
3. As you guys are having fun, I will be walking around and handing each of you a small slip of paper with a number on it. This is to let you know which group you will be split into for the second round.
4. We will repeat this each round (hopefully for 4 rounds).
** If you really like a question, keep the flashcard and take it with you to the next round or just keep it and take it home.
Usually with these meetups the group will grab lunch afterwards, but I will not be able to stay for that. But you guys can still go to lunch afterwards of course.