addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Pgh Tech Meetup Message Board › Open source in Pittsburgh?

Open source in Pittsburgh?

A former member
Post #: 9
Due to a new job I moved to Pittsburgh in Jan 2012. It didn't work out and I find myself on the job market..
As I look for a job not seeing all that many positions with open source.
Is it that the companies using Open source are not hiring at the moment... or is open source not so common in the area?

Even the open source meetup doesn't seem to be active and it only had 3 members attend regularly the few times it met.
Matthew
huesm
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 26
The western PA Linux Users Group has a job board for what it's worth.
http://www.wplug.org...­
A former member
Post #: 10
Great, thanks.
Nice to see there is also a user group. Will check them out for meetings too.
Matthew
huesm
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 27
Great, thanks.
Nice to see there is also a user group. Will check them out for meetings too.
I used to go to this user group. they have changed a lot. I just have a priorities change.
you may also widh to check out geek night.
There is also the pghtech website that has info on jobs, what kind of opensource work do you do?
A former member
Post #: 11
I do system administration mostly: Linux, FreeBSD, Postgresql, Mysql(although have not managed it for a few years), Postfix. For scripting I do python, but I can do PHP too.

Thanks for pointers.
Matthew
huesm
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 28
wplug is FreeBSD friendly.
there is both a python group and a php group in pgh though I have been to neither.