addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Philly EdTech Meetup Message Board › Can "B Corporation" Status Help EdTech Startups?

Can "B Corporation" Status Help EdTech Startups?

Mary Beth H.
mbteach
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 34
This is an interesting article on the struggles that education startups face and a possible solution.

http://gigaom.com/201...­
Ronny B.
user 76018622
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 1
Thanks for sharing Mary Beth. I've been wondering about the B Corp title for a little while as well. I'd be interested to know of organizations that have had success or drawbacks with this hybrid model whether in Ed or other industries. If I come across any I'll be sure to post in the discussion.
Chris A.
chrisalfano
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 8
Azavea is a local B-corp that speaks highly of it and seems always willing to share their experience.

Unfortunately B-corp status is really not geared towards startups, it's hard to score enough points if you're not doing a pretty serious amount of business already. My company Jarvus has been looking at it for awhile and even with 13 fulltimers and dedicated legal+accounting resources we're still not big enough or formalized enough. I really wish there was a B-startup certification geared towards small companies that want to be on the track to B-corp
Mary Beth H.
mbteach
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 35
Wow. I didn't realize it was that difficult. Thanks for the insight.