The Experience: Join Jude & bring your camera or smart phone for a fascinating photographer's fully guided "historical tour & photographic tips" of London's most famous & fabulous of the " Magnificent Seven " Victorian Cemeteries - immerse yourselves in a truly Gothic Atmosphere ! Immerse yourselves & your photography back to the 19th & 20th Century in a landscape of stunning sculptures & tombs set among tall trees & woodland in the full glory of Winter colours.
Review: " What a fantastic day I had today with Jude on a photo cum history tour of Highgate Cemetery. We didn't only go to see Karl Marx - he was an also ran, compared to the many other interesting graves we saw and for which Jude knew the history. I'd highly recommend it. I will definitely go on a another tour with Jude. And also go back to Highgate cemetery"
PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERIENCE: All levels welcome - beginners to pro - smart phone users , cameras of all types - DSLR, mirrorless or compact camera...
AGES: ADULTS & CHILDREN FROM 11 UPWARDS.
THIS IS A FULL GUIDED (HISTORICALLY ) & MENTORED ( PHOTOGRAPHICALLY ) TOUR SPECIFICALLY GEARED FOR PHOTOGRAPHY. ( Unlike an event where you just walk around The Cemetery with a group of photographers taking pictures of random graves )
Review: "Jude was fantastic. She's a brilliant photographer and her knowledge of the history and personal stories about each grave made this a deeply moving and informative tour. It was complex enough for my sister to enjoy, who is an advanced photographer and simple enough for my 11 year old son to love. Highly, highly recommended "
• Jude is a passionate historian & experienced photographer & teacher - who will engage your imagination, immerse you back in time & inspire your photography to experiment & be creative .
• Hear how the Cemetery came to be - the stunning hill top location, the Victorian symbolism , architecture & anecdotes of the lives of many fascinating people buried in the East Cemetery; - Karl Marx, George Elliot, Douglas Adams, Ralph Richardson, Anna Mahler, Patrick Caulfield, Jeremy Beadle , Alan Silitloe and an eclectic selection of bohemian artists, film producers, TV personalities, architects, eminent politicians, theatre designers and doctors - amongst the 55,000 graves at Highgate Cemetery!..
Highgate Cemetery: A designated Grade I on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England built on a hill with landscaped terraces - between 1839 & 1860 for the " Great & The Good " .
It's a very beautiful listed nature reserve. We may see foxes, squirrels, woodpeckers & the various resident cats that live in this extraordinary nature reserve.
REVIEWS: "What a nice day out! Brilliantly run walk and lots of information on the 'residents' from Jude. Thanks for the help and tips along the way ! Highly recommend. " Trainth
" Thank you for this wonderful guided photography walk around Highgate Cemetery East. I've enjoyed it very...very much, especially because you're such a great storyteller and invested a considerable amount of time to research the "residents".Daniel
" To start with my husband and I loved the tour with Jude. We learnt not only some great photography tips but also Jude has an amazing knowledge of history, not only of the cemetery, but the stories of those buried there. The youngest in our group was 11 and he got so much out of it and was taking some amazing photos. Jude makes the tour so interesting and was inspirational on how to take ‘not the norm’ photos. We can throughly recommend a photography day out with Jude.
Please check out the photo albums & previous visits to really get a flavour of the amazing location & photographic opportunities.
Meeting Time: 10.45 am
Place : We meet outside the entrance to Highgate East Cemetery, on Swaines Laine promptly. Please leave adequate time for your journey to arrive promptly so as not to be late in joining the tour.
Level: Diverse all levels of experience welcome.
Transport - getting there :
There is plenty of parking for cars all the way up the hill on a Sunday which is free .If you are coming by public transport - by train take the tube to Archway & then either walk from Archway to the cemetery is about 20 minutes on foot up Highgate Hill, or take one of three buses 210, 143,271 from the Highgate Hill bus stop - then it's two stops to Waterlow Park It’s then a very pleasant five minute stroll through Waterlow Park to the Cemetery gates.
* Still photography of graves is allowed for personal use only.
No tripods or video are permitted.
* There's no cafe within the cemetery - just a small coffee stall outside - so you may want to bring a snack/drink with you with your gear, as we will be walking for a good while before going to The Flask Pub in Highgate.
* The tour price of £20 includes Cemetery entry fee into the East Cemetery. (The tour doesn't include the West Cemetery which is a separate area & separately charged by the Cemetery) .
The Flask Pub - A lovely place to warm up after the tour ( optional ) !
Refunds offered if:
Payments you make go to the organizer, not to Meetup. You must make refund requests to the organizer.