addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Photography in Berlin Message Board › IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - Berliner Eisfabrik - MEETUP CANCELLED!!!

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - Berliner Eisfabrik - MEETUP CANCELLED!!!

A former member
Hello Happy Snappers,

As you guys can see it, the weather is far from being great for urban exploitation, therefore I regret that I have decided to cancel the Meetup scheduled for tomorrow, as according to the forecast we will have more of the same conditions. The site in on sandy and muddy terrain, making it less than ideal to explore in such conditions.

I do apologise about this, it is the first Meetup we had to cancel because of the weather, but Berliner winter just decided to show up with a revenge. This Meetup will be reescheduled at a future date, probably for the end of February ( I will go to Brazil next week for 3 weeks).

Thank you for your group support and hope to see you all soon on other Meetups!

Take care,

Marcia
A former member
Post #: 1
from what i see on the weather website, it's gonna be sunny/partial-rain. i personally don't mind, i think it's worth giving it a shot, for those who can handle partial rain

Hello Happy Snappers,

As you guys can see it, the weather is far from being great for urban exploitation, therefore I regret that I have decided to cancel the Meetup scheduled for tomorrow, as according to the forecast we will have more of the same conditions. The site in on sandy and muddy terrain, making it less than ideal to explore in such conditions.

I do apologise about this, it is the first Meetup we had to cancel because of the weather, but Berliner winter just decided to show up with a revenge. This Meetup will be reescheduled at a future date, probably for the end of February ( I will go to Brazil next week for 3 weeks).

Thank you for your group support and hope to see you all soon on other Meetups!

Take care,

Marcia

A former member
I also would like to give it a try :) so who is coming ?
A former member
hey there
i am definitely up for this
it would be a shame to cancel it since so many people are keen to come and some where on a waiting list (!) plus that even if it's rainy and gray, the photos might look in fact much better
so i will be coming as well
let's agree on the same time and location
also how can we make sure everybody still reads this (including those on waiting list)?
regards
serban
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Serban (and others),

I have not cancelled this Meetup just on a whim. I have looked at the weather forecast and consulted the other co-organisers, who have agreed that the best would be to cancel it because it would not be ideal for pics, some of you don´t seem to mind wet cameras, fine...I am not talking just about a normal drizzly or cloudy day, but this wet snowy rain really does not help. Another thing, the site isn´t just open, we have to go through a fence, and I have checked the land around, and it can get quite muddy on this weather. Now, our group is getting bigger by the day, as our meetups, and this can bring some complications in sites like these. If anything happens with one of the group participants, who is responsible? The blame would immediately go on whoever organises the meetups. We should have fun in the meetups, but safety is above all.
Therefore, if you guys wish to go yourselves, fine. But this is not going to be organised by the group. For an official meetup to happen, at least one co-organiser should be present. Unless if any of the other organisers decide to take this meeting over, you may arrange to go yourselves, but it won´t be an official meetup.
I am really sorry about this, we have never had to cancel a meetup because of weather before. For future occasions I will put on the description of the event that the meetups may be cancelled in the event of poor weather ( unless if they are indoors, of course).
Cheers,
Marcia
A former member
Hi Serban,

We understand your point and really appreciate your efforts towards building such a nice meetup group. We would like to go there and it would be cool if you can guide us a little?
A former member
Hi Marcia

Thanks for your comments and clarifications
Your text raises interesting points on what one means by "official" meet-ups, who takes responsibility if something goes wrong, and what restrictions should be imposed if the group becomes too big.
My take on this is that:

- Meet-up groups should be meant to be autonomously and collectively run, so that decisions are endogenously made (within the group through its member interactions) and not "officially" by one particular organiser. People that do set up the groups should simply act as coordinators, facilitators and moderators (especially for comments being posted). Anyone from the group should be able to propose and organise a meet-up event, though its content and relevance needs to be moderated by those who have set-up a group. In other words, there should be a differentiation between members who have founded the meet-up and simply act as facilitators and moderators, and the rest of the members, but any member can be an organiser of events and no member should be able to cancel an agreed meet-up on behalf of the rest of the members.

- As to the responsibility issue: each member should take care of herself/himself, and each is responsible for her/his own person and actions. No organiser should be responsible for the welfare of all members or for the actions of other members. I would have thought that this is quite clear in self-organised groups such as these established through the internet and social networking.

- Size of the group: yes, you are definitely right, a big group poses many challenges when organising events, and for many events such as for those visiting abandoned places, it is best to have fewer people, I would say a maximum of 6-7 people. For example, it is swifter and easier to access a site for which the rules are not clear, and for which one needs to be discreet... But when there are many people expressing an interest in a particular event, one can easily and randomly split the group in many subgroups that go at different times.

Well, these are just some thoughts that crossed my mind for what they are worth, and I have to say that I did not look into the rules and terms of conditions for these meet-ups.

Cheers
Serban
A former member
Post #: 3
Just a further brief reply related to Adeem's comment: I do not wish to act as a guide, not at all. I'm just a happy or not-so-happy snapper
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Serban,

Thank you for your comments. I am a bit short of time today, so I will only reply on the liability issue.

You go wrong when you say that we are only responsible for ourselves. I wish it was like that...because some members have been posing this question, I have been researching the subject. I am still not sure how this works in Germany, but in the UK I would be in serious sh*t if someone has an accident in a meetup and had not been warned previously about its risks. I believe that this is a less " liability society" than the UK or US, but still issues may arise. We are going into private property, after all, which is already not strictly legal, but tolerated in many instances.

What I will do is to ask Beth, who is the founder and main organiser of this Meetup group, for her input on this. It is her group, therefore she has the final say on these policies.

Anyway, for those who are going, have fun!

Beth J.
user 9665626
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 5
Hi everyone! I see a lively debate has begun. It's late here now but I'll look into your thoughts and get back to you soon. In any case thanks for your comments and interest. These things are bound to come up as the group grows and more people join. It's great to have the discussion as that way the group can only get beter. More soon from me :)