If you are looking to move into earning money from portrait and event photography then you need to start with the best advice. It is rare to find a successful photographer who will willingly share their knowledge, skills and tips - but in this six month tutorial series, professional photographer and experienced teacher, Ian Murray, will walk you through the 'must dos' and 'you really shouldn'ts' that have helped in his success.
It's a complete program that will teach you to avoid the many pitfalls and seize upon those actions that will drive your business into profit. The central focus will be on operating and growing your business and improving your marketing, customer service and shooting skills.
Many photography businesses fail within the first two years and the failure has little or nothing to do with the owner's camera skills, they fail because of poor business skills. You can find many workshops that will help you extend your photography skills and workshops which will teach you business skills, in this series however you will be treated to the rare combination of having an experienced working photographer who happens to be one of the best teachers around, walk you through the 'must have' business skills you need if you are to succeed. There is no-one better placed to understand and teach the ins and outs of running a successful photography business than someone who lives and breathes it every day.
In six full one day workshops spread over six months you will cover :
• It's a business not a hobby! - thinking like a business.
• Understanding your business model
• Creating your business plan - and using it to grow your business.
• Finding and keeping clients.
• Calculating and managing costs.
• Setting the price.
• How to sell more.
• Marketing strategies that work - and plenty that don't.
• Networking as a way to grow your business
• Why customer service matters.
• Legal and tax issues.
• Setting up a space - do you really need a studio?
• Hiring assistants - makeup and hair-stylists.
• Delivering the goods - labs, frames and products
• Post processing strategies and efficient workflows.
• Storing and managing your images.
• Finding your niche.
• Expanding your repertoire.
• Keeping up to date - trends and how to get ahead of them.
• Equipment choices - the essentials
• Education - keeping informed.
• Finding inspiration.
• Getting publicity.
• Working smart.
• Building your portfolio.
• Portrait techniques
• Lighting theory and practice
• Posing techniques
• Managing a shoot
• Creative post-processing
• Weddings and events - how a pro does it.
• Wedding products - prints-books-albums.
• High school senior portraits
• Children and Family Portraits
• Corporate portraits
• Event Photography
The workshop will run on one Sunday each month for six months beginning in Nov and ending in April and the cost is just $600 for the complete program of six workshops. As this an extensive workshop for those looking to build their business the series is nor free to pass holders, however pass holders may attend for a reduced rate of just $400 ( just edit the amount on the PayPal page when you RSVP)
Here are the dates of the workshops.
May 2017. Tbd