SAVE THE DATE!
Welcome to our first camping trip to Door County, Wisconsin! Beaches, bays and forests are keys to this lovely peninsula, located 275 miles north from Chicago. For us, outdoor lovers, this is a perfect place to spend a long weekend and say good bye to the summer and hello to Miss Fall.
We will be camping at the Peninsula State Park in Fish Creek, Tennison Bay Sites for 3 nights. Pine Point has booked 5 sites next to each other, and each site has a fire ring and picnic table. You’ll be happy to know that shower facilities have hot water and are free. Our sites are within a five minute walk to the shoreline, with bike trails, hiking paths and sandy swimming beach, even a golf course, right around the corner.
We have planned many activities for you to choose from, please keep in mind that participation is optional, the only requirement for this trip is: to have good times!
Day 1 - Friday - arrive at the camp ground, set up camp (hopefully before the sun sets); happy hour and welcome BBQ dinner in the evening.
Day 2 - Saturday - 8.00 am breakfast; we’ll regroup and depending on the energy levels all campers will have a choice of:
· 40 miles road bike ridefrom park out towards Egg Harbor with a stop for lunch
· 12 miles off-road bike ride at Peninsula Park. State trail pass is required
· 9.6 miles hike on the Sunset Trail with Hidden Bluff spur
· Spending a day at the beach, go for a run, rent a paddleboard, relax and read a book
· Playing golf at Peninsula State Park Golf Course
· Making your own art at Hands-On Art Studio or visit Edgewood Orchard Galleries
· Wine tour of Door Peninsula Winery: Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery
Saturday is also our day for POTLUCK dinner! If you’d like to participate, please bring a small dish to share with all the other campers - the grills and stoves will be ready to go at 7.00 pm.
Day 3 - Sunday - 6.30 am breakfast; leave campsite at 7.30 am to catch 9.00 am Washington Island Ferry from Northport Pier, located 18 miles north from the park on the tip of the Door Peninsula. We will be biking the island for approximately 30 miles. (You can rent bikes at the island, and apparently they can deliver the bike for free to the ferry – ask us for more details). If biking is not your thing, but you would still like to tag along, there is still plenty things to do on the island, like taking Cherry Train Tour. Round trip ferry passenger ticket w/bike is $17.50 and Combo Ticket (Ferry plus Cherry Train) is $28.00. We will make stops by Stavkirke Church & Schoolhouse Beach, with lunch stop at the Nelsen’s Hall Bitter’s Pub, where you can earn Bitter’s Club certificate if you are up for the challenge. Return Ferry leaves at 5.00 pm and that gets ups back to the park around 6.30 pm.
The place we chose for a group dinner is a local restaurant called The Cookery in Fish Creek.
Day 4 - Monday - 7.00 am breakfast; pack camp leave at 11.00. If you can stick around for few more hours, we are planning for a 12.30 pm Kayak Caves and Dunes Tour at Whitefish Dunes State Park in Sturgeon Bay. This is a 2 hour kayak tour during which we will be exploring Cave Point, see the sea cave, Niagra Escarpment and the Australasia, the longest shipwreck in the world. The cost is $52.75 per person including tax. Just in case, we made a reservation for 10 kayakers (we can add more kayaks). After the tour you are free to hike Whitefish Dunes or relax on the beach before heading home.
Again, if you are not in a kayaking mood, you are welcome to hang out at the camp site instead or do other activities in Door County for the day. The campsites need to be vacated by 3:00 pm.
And this is where we end our trip….
PROVIDED BY PINE POINT:
· Campsites & Firewood
· Friday BBQ dinner (burgers, hot dogs, salad, chips & salsa, dessert)
· Saturday, Sunday and Monday breakfast (cereal, bagels, fruit, coffee, tea)
· Maps & guidance
· Spectacular Sunrises and Sunsets not to forget stars
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
· Annual Wisconsin State Park Vehicle Admission Sticker if you purchased one (or buy a 3 day pass just at the campground for this weekend)
· Tent, footprint, sleeping bag & pad; folding chair
· Headlamps/flashlights with extra batteries
· Bikes, skates, kayaks etc.
· Bug Spray
· Rain gear just in case; zip lock bag
· Swim suit & beach towel
· A big smile& camera
· $$$ to pay for lunches, Washington Island Ferry and Kayak Tour; fees to the WI parks
· Your favorite drink and snacks ; small dish for Saturday pot luck
Make sure to check out the CAMPING LIST recommended by REI.
$65.00 Pine Point Members
$70.00Non Pine Point Members
Payment is due at the time of RSVP. We recommend paying by check, written to Pine Point Ski Club and sent here. If paying by PayPal, please add $3.00 convenience fee and send your payment to “dukesno2 at hotmail.com” Chase Quickpay is also available upon request.
RSVP/PAYMENT DEADLINE AUGUST 27
Available and highly recommended, as there is a cap on how many cars can be parked at each campsite. Just let us know if you need a ride or if you have a ride but need a companion to ride with and we will do our best to match you up. Please provide your anticipated departure time and location.
For questions/comments, please contact Basia at bcholewa at hotmail.com
Looking forward to seeing you!!!!