addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Polyglots in Bangkok Message Board › This month's Polyglots In Bangkok meeting: What are we going to talk about?

This month's Polyglots In Bangkok meeting: What are we going to talk about? Loads!

Gary Dale C.
garydale
Group Organizer
Bangkok, TH
Post #: 6
Hey folks!

This week should be a great meeting as the holiday season will finally be over and we will have some of our people back. We have had some really interesting people join up on the MeetUp site since our last meeting so I hope to see them there.

I would like to cover three topics of conversation (if we can get that far...) this time - if we have enough time!:

First, I want you to take sides on the first one:

Language learning by input (Steve Krashen style) vs. language learning by output (remember Benny the Irish polyglot here). There is no right answer here and most successful language learning programs, whether they are formal or informal, should use both but for sake of a livelier conversation I want everyone who was born in an odd year to argue for language learning by input (read heavily in the target language, practice loads of listening comprehension and study, study, study...). On the flip side I want everyone who is born on an even year to argue for language learning via output (forget style, grammar - just jump in and start speaking from day one). Even though you might agree with the other side I want you to humor me on this one. It ought to be a fun, educational and lively conversation!

Our long-time member Andy Chan has recently become interested in an "inter-planetary" language, the Plejaren language. There are many constructed languages (conlangs) becoming popular these days. The most popular that I have been hearing about of course have been Klingon, N'avi, Dothraki, Vulcan and Romulan as well as Enya (the elfish language invented by J.R.R. Tolkein). That having been ventured I have been an Esperantist for years (and I believe Kubilay has as well, though he might be rusty) and I also can get by in Ido and Interlingua (not nearly to the same degree though but I can read them both fairly well) and I have also ventured into Volapük briefly last year out of curiosity. These are called auxiliary languages (auxlangs). Other notable auxlangs are Logban, Loglan, Toki Pona, Lingwa de Planeta just to name a very few as at the moment there are conglangs and auxlangs springing up on a regular basis. Both of these types of languages really are conlangs, but the thing that separates the two are their purposes. Thos both types languages might be studied out of curiosity, conlangs are generally studied as hobbies whereas people who take up the study of auxlangs tend to believe that the world would be better off with a common, neutral lingua franca. Yet there are others who believe that we waste our time to study languages that are not natural, but rather "man made". I would like for anyone who believes this way to step forward and back it up. Alternatively I would like to see anyone who has studied an conlang or auxlang (or if you have even tried to create one yourself) to explain why you have done this or are doing this. Should also be interesting!

Finally, I would like to know which language and linguistics blogs that you guys are following. Tell us all which ones you like and why.

That is probably plenty enough to discuss but it will be fun. Oh, and by the way, even if you think you know nothing about any of the above three subjects keep in mind:

• Once the conversation starts you will find that you will have loads to contribute; and
  • I bet you will find that this discussion will really get you thinking. It will definitely be worth a go!

Again, I just know that this will be a great conversation and I really look forward to seeing you all there!