addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Polyglots in Bangkok Message Board › A discussion lead to a blog post about input in language learning...

A discussion lead to a blog post about input in language learning...

Gary Dale C.
garydale
Group Organizer
Bangkok, TH
Post #: 7
I recently was speaking with Chris Breuer about input in language learning and during this conversation I brought up Joseph Conrad, who was not only one of my favorite authors, who I recently just completed his novella Gaspar Ruiz, but Conrad was an amazing language learner. He wasn't amazing because he spoke loads of languages, though he did speak English, Polish, French and Russian that I know of and possibly also spoke some Spanish, German and Ukrainian that I know through anecdote. I say that Conrad was a great language learner because he was a master of the English word while having been self taught by reading newspapers and actively listening to people around him. Earlier today I found a letter he wrote to a Belgian literary translator where he claims to have "acquired" English as he never once opened an English grammar!

This fascinated me so much that I had to write a blog post about it! I hope you will get over there to take a look see.