addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Science + Current Event Book Club Message Board › The Half-Life of Facts

The Half-Life of Facts

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 2
Just got this book and The Medicalization of Society as ebooks and looking forward to the discussion!
A former member
Post #: 3
Have been reading The Half-Life of Facts, and find the concept to be interesting, although I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. In my own field, I know that change is continual and radical change happens about every 10 years, but it is a matter of expiration of law and regulation.

As a librarian, I found that we were very concerned with the currency of materials, but we used a five-year cycle for medicine, law and technology, nothing close to the 45 years that the author finds. And, frankly, I'd disagree with him on the length of that cycle. The library's concern was that people do a lot of self-treating, and old materials can actually be dangerous. In at least one instance I can personally attest to, a patron tried to apply old materials on bankruptcy law about three years after they'd changed.