- Is the Bible still to be taken literally in all ways and all days? If it's not, then how do we deal with the Pandora's box that opens for us?
- Is the institution of marriage still applicable in our culture as it was in the Bible?
- Is evolution really contradictory to Christian beliefs?
- Is being Christian a box you check on a form or a process you go through?
- Is everyone who does not check that box going to Hell?
- What is sin really?
- Why is sex the hottest area of contention and focus of our ideas of sin?
Most importantly, where can we discuss these questions without fear and without being judged? Let me be clear - this is not an anti-Christian group. There are plenty of Meetup groups for people who are exploring New Thought and New Age or who are 'recovering from religion'. This is for people who are deeply committed to Christ, but can't stop asking questions that they are afraid to ask in church or are not satisfied with the answers they get. This is not a venue to preach an alternate theology that I have read or formulated. I will not be teaching, only moderating a discussion among equals.
That said, this is also not a meetup for those of you with all the answers to come and set us all straight. Pointing to the Bible and saying it's true because it says it's true will be considered circular reasoning in this group. This is a meetup for people of faith who need to explore the questions of faith and culture and human development without fear; for people who can disagree without being disagreeable.