addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Odds and Ends › Oregon Sno-Park Passes no longer accepted in Washington???

Oregon Sno-Park Passes no longer accepted in Washington???

Susan
user 11692521
Portland, OR
Post #: 9
Hi all,

Wanted to give you all a heads up on a change for this year. Up until now, Washington & Oregon used to honor each other's snow-park passes, which was super convenient and economical for winter recreation.

According to post on the Oregon Nordic club page, Washington is no longer accepting our passes. I am not sure whether Oregon is accepting Washington's. Has anyone else heard about this? It would be a huge bummer. I love the Mount Adams area snow parks, but probably not enough to spend an extra 80 bucks (!) to visit them.

The announcement I saw here:
http://www.onc.org/Fo...­

-sg
Heye
user 12475746
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Susan, Thanks for the heads-up!!

¡ATTENTION PORTLAND HIKING MEET-UP!
Important information for those ready to purchase a Sno-Park Pass

Oregon and Washington has a "reciprocity" policy as they would honor each other's permits. According to ODOT they have a letter from Washington stating they are no longer honoring Oregon sno-park permits, therefore in return Oregon cannot honor Washington's sno-park permits. There was a mention by ODOT, Washington may reconsider at mid-season, but this is pure speculation by a lower ranking employee. The Washington Parks website has misleading information and I had just alerted them to their contradicting statements.

What's a snow junkie to do??
When in doubt contact ODOT, 503-986-3006 or WDOT, Winter Recreation Program at 360-902-8684, Press "0" for the hurry and don't wait option. ASK what sno-park permits are honored in the desired area(s). Idaho Park-n-Ski lots, call Idaho Parks and Recreation at (208) 334-4199. Finding a ticket attached to your car is not a way to end a fun day. Also, be sure to know your chain and traction tire laws in the states you travel and how the law applies to your vehicle.

Too bad policies are not in place as the season is upon us. They are on it and let's hope they resolve this soon. In the meantime i'd pick your state, get your hall pass and and go play in the snow! Safe travels and see you there!! biggrin

h.

Susan
user 11692521
Portland, OR
Post #: 10
We'll have to start a Meetup reciprocity program!

I'll drive you to our snowparks if you drive me to yours.

See you all on the trail ;-)

-Susan
Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 51
Martin just found out that Washington is suspending the decision to end the sno-park permit agreement which means we will have reciprocity at least this year. According to the info, Oregon passes will be accepted in Washington but at this point it's not known if Washington passes will be accepted here in Oregon. More info here
Susan
user 11692521
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
Sweet! Old man pass is fun in a good snow year! I'd have missed it.
Neil
Sprinter
Portland, OR
Post #: 27
Not sure if this is interrelated but for those who play in WA, FYI:

State recreation lands, from State Parks to DNR lands, could close their gates this summer because of Washington state's dire budget deficit. These special places need a secure and sustainable source of funding. Washington Trails Association supports user fees to fill this gap - if they are reasonable fees, and the fees can be enforced.

In Olympia right now, lawmakers are grappling with a proposed solution called the Discover Pass - a vehicle access pass for all State Parks, DNR lands and WDFW lands that would cost $30 annually, or $10 per day. The legislation is moving forward in both the Senate (SB 5622) and the House (HB 1796). The Senate's bill has been voted out of committee is is expected to get the okay from the full Senate very soon.

updated 4.20.11 The Senate has voted in favor of the Discover Pass (SB 5622). Now it is up to the House to work quickly to ensure that the Discover Pass is enacted and our state lands get the critical funding they need.You can help by contacting your representatives and urging them save our state lands by passing the Senate's version of the Discover Pass (SB 5622) quickly.

http://www.wta.org/ac...­