addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Gear Talk › Snow Shoes!!??

Snow Shoes!!??

A former member
Post #: 4
I'm in Michigan visiting family and friends and the snow on the ground is reminding me that it would be really cool to own a pair of snow shoes. It is on my to do list for when I get back to Portland. It is time for me to do some research but I thought I'd ask some questions here, too.

1. Is it important to try on snow shoes or is it the kind of thing you can buy online?

2. Any thoughts or recommendations on brands and a specific type of snow shoe?

3. How are snow shoes sized?

Thank you and see you out there on the trail or snow drift! Top resolution for 2011: get out there and exercise no matter what the weather.

Neil

A former member
Post #: 40
I can respond in more detail later today, but here are two starting points:

(1) Snowshoe discussion earlier this year re: Atlas and MSR: http://www.meetup.com...­

(2) REIs gear selection/informative site on snowshoes: http://www.rei.com/ex...­

Chris
A former member
Post #: 5
Thanks.

Wow, read the above, and there is quite a bit to it. I'd call myself an intermediate level (have rented many times) who mostly will snow shoe on rolling terrain -- not flat and not hard core climbing either. Any suggestions on a specific snow show to choose?

I suspect the perfect snow shoe would be some sort of compromise between a technical climbing shoe and a run the trap line in the Yukon territory shoe. :-)
A former member
Post #: 6
Yikes, most MSR show shoes seem to have an upper weight limit of 180 without fins. Seems a bit light when you factor in even a bit of gear.
Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 56
Neil,

You also have to factor in the snow conditions you'll be snowshoeing in. Although you can get pretty fluffy snow here from time to time, in most cases you will be hiking on packed snow (what is known as Pacific Northwest Concrete) so sinking is not that big of an issue. I have the MSRs without the fins and that has worked fine for me.
A former member
Post #: 7
Cool, Claudio, so which MSRs you have? There are several choices.

They range in price from about $135 to $299...
Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 57
I have the EVO Ascend. Those are the ones with the lift bar in the back. I have used the bar only a handful of times so you might be ok with the standard EVO
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks Claudio! I expect the purchase of snow shoes to be a life changing event. Everything shall now be divided into Before Snow Shoes and After Snow Shoes.
A former member
Post #: 9
I ended up getting the MSR, "Lightning Accent." The guy at REI had some reasons why it was a good choice and would be worth it in the long run.
A former member
Post #: 45
That's what I have Neil.... And yes, it's life changing :) I rented all last year and just bought my own for my Christmas present to me! Have used them three times this year and Love them. And don't shy away from the steep hills... Ya, you loose some cool points from falling down but they lead to some great views :)