addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Plan & Invite › Criteria for Becoming an Organizer

Criteria for Becoming an Organizer

Tyler
user 6494937
Portland, OR
Post #: 30
Hi all (mostly the Organizers). I was wondering if there was a list of the steps to be taken in becoming an organizer for this particular group? I'd love to start creating actual events as I tried using the discussion boards and it just proved to be a little too cumbersome and inefficient.

What I do know is the need to be CPR certified. What organization is best for this? Any other long term action items? I see so many meetups with the same, if not more, hikers on the waiting list, and it just breaks my heart! ;-)
Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 115
Tyler, look in the More then Files . You will see a file on becoming an Organizer. CPR is about it for Formal training. Two hikes with leaders are needed two. If Claudio is in agreement I will add you as a Leader on the Ruckel Ridge hike. Might be able to talk him into it tonight at the meeting. Red Cross has classes at about 50-60 bucks.

Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 116
Your right about the discussion board. I guess people are just more comfortable with the Leader designation that we have. Actually were no different then they are but were willing to put on the events and watch out for everyone.
I enjoy it a lot and like to show people things and sights most people will never see. Its pretty rewarding at times with the comments and ratings we get.

Tyler
user 6494937
Portland, OR
Post #: 31
Sounds good. The CPR classes held by RedCross last around 6-7 hours, and are only held on Saturdays for weekend classes. It might take me a few weeks to squeeze in a class, as hiking on Saturdays is a difficult to skip during the warm season. ;-) I'll try my best though!
Zachary
user 11075363
Portland, OR
Post #: 18
Tyler,
It's a bit of a process but you don't have to do the steps in any particular order (e.g., you don't need to have CPR/1st Aid in order to do the two qualifying hikes). If you can make it to the monthly meeting tomorrow we can talk about it in more detail. I'd be happy to do one of the qualifying hikes with you.
Tyler
user 6494937
Portland, OR
Post #: 32
I didn't realize the Lucky Lab in question was in the NW. I"ll be there!
Phillip
NWPhil
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 29
Here's a good topic to talk about this wednesday - CPR and FA in the wilderness
A former member
Post #: 10
Tyler, you'll make an awesome hike leader. We're looking forward to your initiation.