addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Trail talk › Need hike locations!

Need hike locations!

A former member
Post #: 4
Hi! I'm new to Portland and my friend is coming to visit from Michigan. What are your aren't recommendations for some good challenging day hikes that aren't too far from PDX?

Thanks!

Katie
Zachary
user 11075363
Lynnwood, WA
Post #: 19
There are scads of good, challenging day hikes in the Gorge- Table Mountain is my personal favorite. If you're in the market for a hiking book, you really can't go wrong with anything written by William Sullivan or Douglas Lorain. You can also check out the field guide at http://www.portlandhi...­ . Yet another good strategy would be to go back through the PHMG calendar and check out some of the hikes that we've posted in the past. Have fun out there!!!
A former member
Post #: 120
Like Zach said, check out past hikes here and at the portlandhikers.org site.

As for challenging hikes? Thats very subjective. What would you call a challenging hike?

Table Mountain is a good one but its easy to add miles if you have never been on this hike.