Time for our monthly "Girl's Night"!
So what are we going to do this this Girl's Night?! Whatever we decide! I'm hoping we'll have a theme for every month, and rotate to each others houses or to different locales. It'll be a great way to get out, make new friends, and have something to look forward to each month.
At the meeting, we will choose the date for the next Girl's Night, the location, the host, and the theme!
This Month's Girl's Night:
1. Date: Saturday, April 9th, 2011 at 5pm
2. Location: JoAnne's House in Portland
3. Host: JoAnne
4. Theme: Roaring 1920's Speakeasy
It's 1920 and Prohibition has just taken effect. Prohibition, during which the sale of alcohol was illegal, ran from 1920 to 1933, yet in San Francisco, where the thirsty, working-class populace refused to hop on the temperance wagon, spirits flowed in hotels, dance halls, coffee shops, clandestine rooms and underground tunnels.
You're invited to a secret speakeasy in a shady part of downtown San Francisco called the Cotton Club (otherwise known as JoAnne's House). However, you can't just show up, as you may be an officer of the law. When you arrive, knock on the door 3 times. Once the door is open, you'll be asked for the password. Tonight's password is:
Make sure you dress up as a flapper, or you may be denied entry. Remember, if you don't look the part and don't know the password, the Cotton Club may be closed for the evening. If you don't know where to buy your Cotton Club outfit, check out this website where they have plenty of flapper dresses that are $35 and under:
Please sign up to bring one of the following by adding a comment when you RSVP:
1. 2 bottles of Champagne (You can get great champagne for $4.99 at Trader Joe's. Make sure you have it hidden in a paper bag when you arrive, because it's 1920 and the time of Prohibition when alcohol is illegal).
2. Chocolate Cigars and Candy Cigarettes (These can be found many places, including Haven't candies)
3. Speakeasy Spinach and Artichoke Dip
4. Al Capone's Cheese Platter
5. Great Gatsby Gaucamole and Chips
6. Cotton Club Crab Cakes
7. 1920's Music on CD and a couple decks of cards
8. Moonshine (This can be any alcohol, but bring a clear bottle labeled "Moonshine" that we can put it in once we get to the party for the 1920's effect)
9. Soda and Juice
10. Waldorf Salad
11. Pina Colada Cake (A recipe can be found here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pina-colada-cake-iii/Detail.aspx)
12. Shrimp and cocktail sauce
13. Fresh Fruit
14. Baked Brie with Bread
15. Fake Pearl Necklaces to be provided to people as they enter as a sign they knew the password.
16. Dessert Items
17. A 1920's themed item of your choice (This may be food, games, etc. Please specify what you will be bringing when RSVP'ing)
18. A 1920's themed item of your choice (This may be food, games, etc. Please specify what you will be bringing when RSVP'ing)
19. A 1920's themed item of your choice (This may be food, games, etc. Please specify what you will be bringing when RSVP'ing)
20. A 1920's themed item of your choice (This may be food, games, etc. Please specify what you will be bringing when RSVP'ing)
You should plan to spend $20 or under for the items you've signed up to bring.
I hope to see you there!