DATE: June 1, 2013, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
DIFFICULTY RATING: Moderately Difficult
TOTAL MILES: 12.2 miles
ESTIMATED HIKING TIME: 8 hours, depending on party size
ELEVATION GAIN: Approximately 2,800' vertical gain
ROUTE DESCRIPTION: Leaving from the Horse Tail Falls Trail Head in the Columbia River Gorge, we will hike to Triple Falls. Continuing past that, we will take the Franklin Ridge Trail to the intersection with the Larch Mtn. Trail. We will descend the Larch Mtn. Trail to our destination, Multnomah Falls, and return to Horse Trail Falls by car shuttle.
APPROXIMATE RETURN TIME: 5:30 PM
WEATHER FORECAST: Partly sunny, high near 72.
$$$: Suggested donation for outing: $2.00 for members,
CARPOOLING: RT mileage is approximately 80miles; we suggest a mileage donation of 10 cents/mile/rider. Exact change is welcome. This will involve a short car shuttle from Multnomah to Horse Tail Falls.
Note-this is a carbon neutral outing, $.25/person from outings donation is used to offset carbon released for the trip.
DIRECTIONS TO CARPOOL: We will meet at 8:30 AM for an 8:40 departure at the carpool site in Vancouver at the Marshall Center, 1009 East McLoughlin Blvd. Park on the west (right) side of the building (as you face the building from the street), in the second row. There will be other cars in the lot, so be sure and bring my cell # below.
If you have questions about the hike or what to bring, call Mike Newsham at 360-798-0800, firstname.lastname@example.org . This cell number will work for communication purposes on the day of the hike.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· Water (min 2 liters/person)
· Lunch and snacks.
· Water resistant hiking boots/shoes
· A water-resistant hat and gloves. Rain jacket and pants
· Two or three light layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary
· Headlamp or flashlight
· Matches (stored in a water tight container in addition to matches or a butane lighter)
· First aid supplies (be sure to include an extra day of any medication you are taking or might need
· Pocket knife
· Fire starter (can be candles, chemical fire starter, backpack size fire logs)
· $$ for gas and food afterward
· Gloves or mittens, sun hat
· Trekking poles recommended
· Extra food