addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Potomac Pedalers Message Board › Civil War Century

Civil War Century

Melissa
user 8326715
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Has anyone done the full Monty? There is a behemoth elevation gain..... I would love to hear some beta on this bad boy from veterans.

Here is a link: http://www.civilwarce...­
Adam
adam_g
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 2
Here's a RideWithGPS of the ride. It seems to be mostly two big climbs.

http://ridewithgps.co...­

Nigel
user 14184784
Columbia, MD
Post #: 1
Melissa
I have done the metric for several years now due to volunteering at the sign in table (Baltimore Bike Club Member). Although a lot of elevation gain, the century according to my friends who have done it all say its not bad at all, and this is from very strong cyclists to those who are not that strong. Just take your time and you can do it.

I am volunteering again this year, but am considering the century route, it all depends on how long it takes to get everyone signed in and when I can get out on the road.

I would suggest signing up because this is a very popular ride and it sells out rather quickly!!! Registration is strictly limited and there is no walk up registration for this event.

Hope to see you out there!
Melissa
user 8326715
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
Thanks guys for the beta and encouragement. After all I have all summer to get my game on no? wink
Nigel
user 14184784
Columbia, MD
Melissa
That's right and now is as good a time to start. The PPTC Spring Ride has some good elevation on the route. It's this Saturday.
Melissa
user 8326715
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
Thanks Nigel ~ I signed up for the spring ride earlier this week! See you there.
Peace and Shimano parts~ Melissacool
Nigel
user 14184784
Columbia, MD
Post #: 3
See ya out there Melissa!!!
A former member
Post #: 59
I have done the full 100 three times at a CC pace. There are only a couple of really steep climbs; but many longer stretches of moderate climbing. Always feels like an accomplishment. Very pretty climbing into the Catoctin mountains in the morning to the first RS at South Mountain. A few rollers in the middle, and almost flat at times going through Gettysburg and returning to Thurmont. There is a bail-out option at 75 miles that make it only 78 total, but it only skips one climb.

David W.
user 14205142
Catonsville, MD
Post #: 1
The Civil War Century is (in my opinion) the best organized club century in Maryland. BBC has refined the route over the past 12 years and they really know how to stage a large century of this type.

There are several routes on the CWC. Some of the shorter routes toward Gettysburg don't do much climbing at all and are recommended for cyclists who want to see the Catoctins without necessarily going over them.

The full century route was initially designed in the late 1990's by a BBC ride leader named Phil Manger. Phil laid out the route for this century with the idea to link three major battlefields of the American Civil War.

Phil originally called this 100 mile route the "Over the Mountains without Pain Century." Although what constitutes "pain" is relative to each cyclist, most riders who have done this agree that none of the climbs are steep. If you don't ride longer hill climbs very often it might be advisable to bring a bicycle with a triple or a compact front chain ring/crank set. Many cyclists ride the route with a 25 or 27 tooth back cog and have little difficulty with the climbs. I don't find the century difficult using a 39/27 chain ring to cog combination, but I do a fair amount of cycling up and down mountain ridges.

The CWC takes you over the Catoctin Mountains from Thurmont over to Sharpsburg crossing two ridges: Catoctin Mountain on MD77 just west of Thurmont and South Mountain at Arnoldstown Road. Both are relatively gentle grade climbs on a road bike and you get to ride many miles through the scenic Middletown Valley before you get to the South Mountain climb.

I should point out that Arnoldstown Road leads up was the site of the Civil War battle of South Mountain and Sharpsburg was the location the battle of Antietam - the "bloodiest single day" in the American Civil War. The battle of South Mountain occurred on September 14, 1862 and the battle of Antietam was fought three days later on September 17, 1862.

What is special about this year is that this September marks the 150th Anniversary of these two Maryland Civil War battles ~ Keep in mind that both of these places are going to be decked out for these anniversaries and there will be thousands of people from throughout the U.S. attending a large battle reenactment in Boonsboro on Saturday and Sunday, September 8th & 9th: http://www.marylandca...­

After Sharpsburg, the ride head north through Boonsboro and north of US 40. A couple miles after the midpoint rest stop at the Mt. Aetna fire station century riders will encounter a long climb up MD 491 towards the now closed army base at Fort Ritchie. This grade on MD 491 is not steep, although in recent years the route organizers put in a left turn onto Ritchie Road. This climb is a tad steeper and somewhat long so it gets everyone's attention.

After climbing up to Cascade & Blue Ridge Summit one can choose to shorten the route to about 70+ miles and take the long downhill on MD 550 back into Thurmont. Those doing the century will climb the short and steep Jack's Mountain and through a covered bridge to the rest stop at Fairfield, PA followed by a ride through the Peach Orchard and the Wheatfield at the Gettysburg National Military Park - This part or the ride goes through some of area that was heavily contested on the second day of the battle of Gettysburg. It is fairly flat with many monuments and markers. It is worth a stop to see Devil's Den or look up at Little Roundtop.

After this point it is fairly flat and rolling on over to the final rest stop east of US 15 and then back to the ride start in Thurmont.

In understand that BBC has closed registration for the Civil War Century. Also there are no walk-up registrations - You can still sign up as a Volunteer and ride the century too. Mary Menne and the ride organizers very much need volunteers for this event! Use this link to inquire about volunteering: http://civilwarcentur...­

Tailwinds!

Dave Whitaker
Catonsville, MD
David W.
user 14205142
Catonsville, MD
To volunteer for the Civil War Century:
http://civilwarcentur...­

Maryland, My Maryland", a reenactment of the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam, commemorating the 150th Anniversary - Septembe 8 & 9, 2012, Boonsboro, MD: http://www.marylandca...­