addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Prescott Freethinkers Message Board › Christmas Wish of a boy living at Stepping Stones shelter

Christmas Wish of a boy living at Stepping Stones shelter

Cori
user 9043273
Group Organizer
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 39
Hey gang -

Ten-year old Anthony lives at Stepping Stones emergency shelter. He loves LEGOs and he plays with them constantly. He has been saving allowance and chore money to buy the LEGO Star Wars Death Star (a seriously awesome LEGO set that costs $400). He and his mom came into our shelter because they left his mom's abusive partner. Anthony was actually sad and angry that he couldn't go home to do more chores (so he could save for the LEGO set). Let me restate this: He was sad that he couldn't go back to an abusive home where drugs, alcohol and serious mental illness were present and he was genuinely in danger because he wants to do chores to buy himself his LEGO set. The children write wishlists for Santa and this was the only toy he put on his list.

Okay, so here is why I am writing to our group. I can't "adopt" him out to the average donor because folks want to buy a few smaller Christmas gifts for children...I don't anticipate that anyone would spend $400 on one gift for one kid. I want to try to make it happen for him, though. This morning our volunteer sent an email to LEGO Group (main LEGO company) and to a few LEGO clubs/enthusiasts in the USA about monetary donations or a discount on the set. I'm thinking that if lots of people pitch in a little that we could buy him the LEGO Star Wars Death Star (see Amazon.com link below).

I know this is a super specific gift and I don't usually solicit donations, but I thought it is worth a try to see who is interested in helping Anthony get the LEGO set of his dreams. If you are interested in donating, I can arrange to meet you, you can mail a check or you can donate through the Stepping Stones website. Please also let me know if you'd like a regular tax deduction receipt or for your donation to go toward the Arizona Working Poor Tax Credit (you take the credit directly off your state tax liability).

Stepping Stones Agencies
6719 E. 2nd Street Suite A
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314

http://www.steppingst...­

Let me know if you have questions or want to talk (928 710.6429)

http://www.amazon.com...­

Thanks for considering pitching in a few dollars - I bet we can have a Death Star by Christmas, no problem.

Cori
Chris F.
user 29801462
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 1
Awesome choice - I want one too! :) We'd be glad to pitch in.
Vinnie
user 11642693
Prescott, AZ
Don't know what I could give yet but count me in. Legos were my friend when I was his age...
Larry Z.
user 14435376
Prescott Valley, AZ
I'll pitch in too!
Anne G.
Anne_Glasser
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 2
Where do people send money and addressed to whom? And when do you need the $$ by?

OK. So I have to admit I about fell out of my chair at the cost. Then I checked it out with the link you provided. HOLY CRAP! That's just AWESOMENESS EXTREME! lol :)
Cori
user 9043273
Group Organizer
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 40
Hey guys - We are nearly at $400 already! Wowza!

Few things I want to let everyone know:

1. Your donation can be used as a tax deduction or it can go toward the Arizona Working Poor Tax Credit (dollar-for-dollar credit off your state tax liability). Please let me know what you would prefer.

2. You can donate online (http://www.steppingst...­, let me know how I could pick up your donation or mail it to the shelter: Stepping Stones Agencies, 6719 E. 2nd Street Suite A, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314.

3. It is possible that we will receive more than enough donations. It is also possible that we get the Death Star set donated (wouldn't that be awesome?!). Let me know if you would like your donation back or if you would like it to go toward other specific gifts that children ask for.

4. Based on the input from a few folks, Stepping Stones chooses not to buy the gift from Walmart. If anyone has a preferred retailer, let me know, otherwise we can purchase it for the same price at Amazon.com.

5. YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB! Now I wish Christmas wasn't a month away! I don't know if I will be able to contain my excitement when I go to the shelter tomorrow.

Call or text me at 928. 710 6429 if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Cori
Cori
user 9043273
Group Organizer
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 42
I'll pitch in too!
Thanks Larry! I just updated the original message to include info on how to send money. It seems like a little from a lot of folks is gonna add up!
How are you doing lately, by the way?
Cori
user 9043273
Group Organizer
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 43
Don't know what I could give yet but count me in. Legos were my friend when I was his age...
Hey Vinnie - sounds awesome! I am so excited for him...now I wish Christmas wasn't a whole month away!
Cori
user 9043273
Group Organizer
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 44
Where do people send money and addressed to whom? And when do you need the $$ by?

OK. So I have to admit I about fell out of my chair at the cost. Then I checked it out with the link you provided. HOLY CRAP! That's just AWESOMENESS EXTREME! lol :)
I saw the toy first and thought it was pretty amazing, THEN saw the price and I used a few four-letter words, ranted about capitalism for a minute, and cursed LEGO for having the nerve to price a toy that high. Seriously. I mean, seriously.

It seems like several folks giving a little is going to add up to cover the cost. I updated the original post to include how to give. Let me know if you'd like your donation to go toward the AZ State Tax Credit or as a regular deduction. Finally, if we DO get more than enough, let me know if you would like the donation back or for it to go toward specific wishes of other kids in the shelter.

What an amazing group - everyone jumped so quickly to help get an awesome toy for a kid who would never expect such a thing from strangers.

See you soon!
Cori
Cori
user 9043273
Group Organizer
Prescott, AZ
Post #: 45
Awesome choice - I want one too! :) We'd be glad to pitch in.
Thanks, Chris! Super excited to share with everyone how this Christmas turns out for him! Like I wrote to Anne, I'm proud to see how quickly folks responded to get a gift for a child who would never expect such a thing from a group of strangers. This is awesome!

See you soon,
Cori