addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Help High School Students Learn R

From: Joseph R.
Sent on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Hello All,

Over the past couple of years several of you have mentioned that you would be interested in helping high school students become involved with R. The following letter from ASA statisticians Madeline Bauer, Harold Dyck and Heidi Gransar describe how getting involved with the ASA's efforts to reach out to high school students can make a difference. Please give it some serious consideration.

Best regards,

Joseph Rickert

#-----------------------------

Dear BARUG Members,

Education can change the world - and by helping high school students around the world become competent in R and statistics you could have a tremendous positive impact. Every year, the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF), the ultimate science fair, reaches 1,500 students from 70 countries, The American Statistical Association awards a special prize for statistics. However, we are currently only able to reach less than 1% of the students who show promise in statistics. We would like to have your help in encouraging and mentoring the remaining 99%.

The[masked]st place winner for the statistics competition (and grand prizewinner) lived in the Bay area and participated in summer internships at Stanford University where he learned to code in R and analyze microarray data. In contrast, a student from a small farming community in Nebraska without access to R users searched the web on his own to find out how to use a Latin square design for his agriculture experiment. He used Excel for his analyses and did not win a prize. Worthy students in other countries have even fewer resources.

Because the R language is supported by a passionate and engaged worldwide community with online help forums, documentation, tutorials and user groups active in more than 40 countries we believe that R is the perfect tool for helping students learn to integrate statistics and data science into their science projects. These skills will help them throughout their lives.

We are looking for volunteers to mentor students, answer student's R related questions, construct an R website for students. We need your help!.  For more information information contact us at [address removed].

Thank you very much in advance for helping to reach these students.

Sincerely,

Madeline Bauer, Harold Dyck, Heidi Gransar

Statistics Judging Coordinators, 2014 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair
Southern California ( www.sc-asa.org ) and Orange County-Long Beach Chapters of the American Statistical Association ( http://community.amstat.org/oclb/home )

 

 

People in this
group are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy