addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area useR Group (R Programming Language) Message Board Bay Area useR Group (R Programming Language) Discussion Forum › Naming an Object From a Character Vector

Naming an Object From a Character Vector

Brad B.
user 14534071
Broken Arrow, OK
Post #: 2
Hello. I am not a software developer, just an engineer who sits at a computer all day and occasionally writes scripts.

I am using R to study statistics in a class offered at work. I am also using R for a software tool I am making. The short script that follows is a simple way of describing a problem I have. If any of you can tell me how to do it, I will appreciate it greatly.

Brad

# This is a test script to learn how to
# name objects from characters in a vector
objnm <- character(length = 4)
objnm[1]="dog"
objnm[2]="rat"
objnm[1]
objnm
dog
rat
# I want to determine the contents of objnm[1]
# and use that as a name for an object.
# Then I want to set dog = 2.
# When I type dog, as shown next, I want dog to = 2.
dog

Robert M. Horton, ...
user 12069592
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
objnm <- c("dog", "rat", NA, NA)
assign(objnm[1], 2)
dog
Brad B.
user 14534071
Broken Arrow, OK
Post #: 3
Dr. Horton - Thank you very much.... and I mean it.
Robert M. Horton, ...
user 12069592
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
Sure, this is fun. If you're keeping track of things by name, you might want to look into named lists. Try this:

zoodata <- list(dog=2, cat=1, cow=9)
zoodata['dog'] # returns a sublist of one
zoodata[['dog']] # returns a single item

which(zoodata==1) # get the index of the matching item
names(zoodata)[which(zoodata==1)] # get the name of the matching item
zoodata[[names(zoodata)[which(zoodata=­=1)]]] # round trip

Brad B.
user 14534071
Broken Arrow, OK
Post #: 5
I'll keep the named lists in mind. In a week or two I'll have to clean up my code and implement better ways of doing things. Thanks again!