This house and museum has so many things tied to spiritual activity from the Civil War items and battlefield gear to the people that lived and died in this home for over 159 years. This museum holds the history of the Battle of Westport where many men died in those battles and we look forward to investigating this awesome site with you so don't miss it. History of The Harris-Kearney House
The Col John Harris family migrated from Kentucky in 1832 and settled in the West Port area. Their first home consisted of a four room log house on a farmstead located on the site of present day 39th Street and Gillham Road. After Col. Harris’ death in 1873, his son-in-law, Col. Charles E. Kearney, moved his family into the house so his wife, Josephine (Harris) Kearney, could care for her mother, Henrietta. The ell or back wing of the house was built in 1872 to accommodate the Kearney’s five children. Mrs. Harris lived in her “mansion house” until her death in 1881. The Kearney family lived in the house for the next twenty-eight years. Moving The Harris-Kearney House
In 1922, the house was moved in two sections to its current location which was, in later years, part of the Gottfried Homung’s vineyard. The Westport Historical Society acquired the home in 1976 and restored the original 1855 portion of the house as a house museum. The house now houses the Westport Society headquarters and a visitor’s center.
The pianoforte can be seen in the Harris-Kearney Parlor room and is the oldest residential piano in Kansas City. When the restoration is complete, Kansas City’s oldest brick home will once again convey its 1855 grandeur.