This clinic is part of RLAG's new Ready to Ride Coaching Package, which includes two additional skill-building clinics: We Got Skills and Remy's R2R Workout++. This 3-clinic coaching program is designed to prepare women for 50+ mile rides on Reach the Beach (or other similar endurance rides/tours).
*** IMPORTANT: Registration in this series is available ONLY to women enrolled in the "Ready to Ride" (R2R) Coaching program. The other two clinics are open for all RLAG members to RSVP, starting 2/20.
ABOUT THIS EVENT SERIES
* Have you ever wished for super powers on your bike?
* Would you like to feel accomplished (versus spent) at the end of a long bike ride?
* Are you willing to challenge yourself to get the results you want?
This is an 8-week on-bike intensive training clinic designed to improve speed, strength, endurance, and cardiovascular fitness. Attending this series will help Increase your cadence (pedal rotation rate), train your body to distribute the muscular load (so it's not just your legs doing all the work) and build strength for those beloved hills. If you are registered for this clinic, PLEASE read all the way through this post for important details.
More than a bike ride, this is a focused on-bike workout led by cycling coach, Diane Smith. Yes, you will ride your bike, but rather than seeking a destination, you'll be developing new skills in a drill format, timing your efforts and seeing improvements over time, and challenging yourself with short but intense efforts. Each 90-minute session will include:
* 15-minute warm up
* 60-minute hard-effort drill/exercises (with rests)
* 15-minute cool down
LOCATION: TBA (Location will vary, include: Willamette Park, Verde Cocina (Sylvan) and Sauvie Island). See each week's Meetup post for specific location.
WHO IS THIS CLINIC FOR?
Experienced cyclists who want to improve riding performance and new cyclists who want to build a solid foundation of long-distance riding skills - each benefit. Given the format of this clinic, various levels of cyclists can be accommodated. To participate, you must be registered in the "Ready to Ride: I'm All In!" Training Cohort. See link (above)
All must have:
• Device to track elapsed time (bike computer or smart phone ) that is ATTACHED to handlebars
• Front AND rear bike lights, flashing preferably
• Roadways: combo of bike paths, urban/rural roads with and without bike lanes
• Pace: since this is not technically a bike ride, women perform the exercises at their own pace; some group riding will be included, all paces accommodated
• Terrain: Will begin on flat terrain and gradually add hills
RESTROOMS AT START: Yes
COACH: Diane Smith
Diane Smith is an accomplished endurance cycling and running athlete with a passion for helping others find the joy of living a fit lifestyle. Diane’s cycling accomplishments include: competing for Team USA at the 2015 ITU World Duathlon Championships in Adelaide, Australia (placing 11th in her age group), 2014 OBRA State Time Trial Champion and 2013 OBRA State Cyclocross Champion. In addition to cycling, Diane is an 8-time marathon finisher and an ACE-certified fitness instructor who specializes in injury prevention and recovery. Having coached Ride Like A Girl cyclists in the past, Diane is excited to return and share her enthusiasm for biking efficiently, safely and powerfully.
- Flat repair kit (inner tube, tire levers, pump or CO2)
- No ear buds
- Your bike must be in good working order
- All riders need to sign a waiver.
WEATHER: We won't ride in below freezing temperatures, in snow, heavy rain, high wind or very stormy conditions. Expect that we WILL ride in drizzly/light rain. ALWAYS check the Comments section (scroll down) for updates ON THE DAY OF THE RIDE. Changes will be posted no later than 2 hours before the start time.