This is a six-week BEGINNER's training series to help you prepare for the easiest route (25 miles) on May 18th Reach the Beach biking event. If you haven't been on your bike in a while, perfect. If you need to gain confidence or become more comfortable with traffic, this is for you. If you don't have any group riding experience, come learn with us. Our focus is safety and building confidence and biking skills. Our ride distances will be short, increasing gradually over six weeks. The pace will be easy - no speedsters, please!
Each week will include a focused learning topic and a practice bike ride to apply the new skills. Learn essential skills, including: pre-ride safety check, tips for better balance and control, how to minimize the risk of falling, how to use gears to make your ride easier, develop good group ride etiquette, how to ride visibly, predictably and alertly. Every ride will be supported by a coach and a sweeper; no one is left behind!
WHO IS THIS SERIES FOR?
Designed for women who want a friendly, supportive learning environment to prepare for the 25-mile bike ride on Reach the Beach. No road biking experience necessary; however, you must be available to start either April 11 or 18 and participate in four of the six weekly sessions.
LOCATION: Bethany Starbucks, 4720 NW Bethany Blvd., Portland
SCHEDULE & ATTENDANCE:
- We will meet weekly on Thursday evenings 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM (may go later as daylight extends later into the evening).
- You must be available to start either 4/11-4/25 and attend a minimum of FOUR of the SIX sessions.
- STARTS Thursday, April 11 (recommended) and repeats every Thursday for five weeks.
- Week six (final session) we meet Monday, May 13th
- April 25 Last day to register
- April 26th Registration CLOSES
- 6:00 PM is the start time - please arrive early so you are ready to ride by 6:00 PM.
- Try before you buy - Your first session is free and you are not obligated to purchase if you find it's not what you're looking for.
- $99 for entire weekly series (reduced from $125), payable by 4/25
- This is a flat rate, whether you start 4/11 or 4/25.
- Front and rear lights on your bike
- Water bottle mounted to your bike
- Snack for the ride
- Carry ID and cell phone
- Flat repair kit (you don't need to know how to fix a flat but prepare by carrying the supplies and we'll do our best to help you)
- Your bike must be in good working order - CHECKED by a certified bike mechanic. BEFORE YOU ATTEND, have your bike inspected for safe operation (bike shops do not charge for this)
- All participants must sign a waiver
- No ear buds
- Road bike (best), Hybrid bike (next best) or mountain bike with ROAD tires. Heavy, cruiser-style bikes or bikes with big, knobby tires are NOT recommended.
- Glasses (protect your eyes)
- Cycling gloves (so you have a good grip and to protect your hands)
- Padded bike shorts (recommended by 3rd week to reduce risk of skin chaffing and discomfort)
- Remember - RLAG members receive 20% off at Western Bikeworks in NW Portland.
• Roadways: Initially Bike Paths and increase to include Residential and Rural Roads
• Pace - This will be an easy-paced series, starting 10-12 MPH and working towards 12-14 MPH.
• Terrain: Flat: Basically flat, no steep hills.
SWEEPER: Yes! No one left behind.
RESTROOMS AT THE START: Yes
COACHES: Carolyn Jen[masked] and Linda Godfrey (sweeper)
Carolyn Jen is the Founder and Girlfriend in Charge of Ride Like A Girl Cycling and a League Certified Instructor (League of American Bicyclists). Working with new cyclists since 2013 she has helped many women overcome common barriers to cycling, improve riding skills and confidence and achieve goals they never thought possible.
WEATHER: We will cancel/reschedule for rain or stormy conditions. Changes will be posted IN COMMENTS (below) no later than 2 hours before the start time.