addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Rails.MN Ruby on Rails Learning Meetup Message Board › Best Computer for Rails Developing

Best Computer for Rails Developing

A former member
Post #: 1
I got a new Lenovo Thinkpad a couple weeks ago but it appears as though it actually belongs to my wife...SO...seeing as how I have the "chance" to buy something more conducive to developing I'm curious if anyone can suggest something in the $500 range.

As I recall a Mac would make life a lot easier so any thoughts on the most basic option there would be appreciated too even though it's double or more the price I'm hoping to pay.

I guess I'm sort of hyper-motivated to have something usable by tomorrow night & tempted to pay extra to make that happen.
A former member
Post #: 54
"best" - I can't wait to see how this goes :3

I've developed full rails apps on windows and linux just fine, don't feel stuck with mac. My only recommendations are to find something with a massive battery life. You (hopefully) won't run a production site on your laptop, don't worry about speed, graphics cards, etc.

Derek R.
derekrockwell
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 8
I originally started developing on Windows, and while it is getting better, it can still be a bit of a nuisance. Things like running tests and booting the server can take a long time due to not having been tuned for a Windows environment.

Linux is definitely better supported, so you may be able to go that route either via VM (would require more RAM) or just be the primary partition.

The Chromebooks and the like that are coming out are interesting, as there are a number of 'IDE in the Cloud' services that you could use to develop with. I haven't done too much research into that, but I've used action.io and it is pretty cool for a Rails IDE. May be worth some investigating?
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks guys. I wondered about 'IDE in the Cloud' and I would love the excuse to have a chromebook.

I've done a little looking and have a question. Codenvy.com is asking me to choose a PaaS. Any preference on one of these?

AppFog

Cloud Foundry

Heroku

OpenShift

I see it lets me change it later too. If I understand correctly I'm not likely to need this info soon anyway.
A former member
Post #: 55
You don't need an IDE in the cloud if you pay for a VPS from say linnode, you can just get ssh for chrome and use vim or your other not nearly as good favorite text editor :)

Additionally you can pitch chromeos for something sensible like ubuntu.

Rails folks seem to love heroku, I personally have use none of them. It's just a place to push your rails code to and test, pick any one.
Derek R.
derekrockwell
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9
+1 to the VPS route, also an option, generally a little less graphical but that definitely isn't necessarily a bad thing as a Rails developer (we're command line friendly.)

In terms of PaaS, my current recommendation is still Heroku. Last time I checked they were still the easiest and cheapest (free) option to get started with.