addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Pilot cleanup tomorrow

Pilot cleanup tomorrow

A former member
Post #: 14
Sorry, I'm late in posting this. But if you climb at Pilot regularly, can set your own anchor, have a rope, harness, atc, and a garden tool, please consider meeting us out at Pilot Mountain tomorrow at 9:30am to clean up the cliff edge. The trails will be closed.

NOTE: YOU MUST BE COMPETENT TO SET YOUR OWN ANCHOR OR BUDDY UP WITH SOMEONE. YOU WILL BE WORKING OFF THE EDGE OF THE TOP WHERE WE SET ANCHORS, SO ONLY COME IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH DOING SO.

Here is the original email from Bill Webster:

Pilot Mt. State Park needs our help.

As you know a fire has burned the top of the mountain including the top of the climbing area. The park is concerned that the climbing area is not safe due to damaged trees, loose soil, and loose rock at the top of the cliff.

I’m organizing a work day to help the park with this problem. We need climbers to show up this Sunday. Our job will be to kick, dig, pry, and otherwise knock any loose materials from the edge of the cliff to the trail below. (The trail will be closed)

To do this we need people to bring ropes, harnesses, and rap devices so we can safely work around the top of the cliff. Also bring any tools that might be helpful such as work gloves, short handled digging tools, crow bars etc. The park will provide some larger pry bars for large rocks.

Bring your climbing gear. If conditions are safe enough we might be able to do a few routes at the end of the day. Park staff will make that determination.

Let’s meet at 9:30 at the Pilot Mt parking lot. Those from the Triangle might want to carpool. I’ll plan on meeting at the Mardis Gras parking lot in Durham off I-40 at 7:30 am.

You can call me (Aimee) if you can make it-919.780.7226. Even if you can only help for a little while or need to come late, there is a lot to do and we need more help!

Thank you,
Aimee