addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Gym climbing partners

Gym climbing partners

Paul
ClimbingJedi
Arlington, VA
Post #: 9
As the group has grown, I've noticed two things: Tuesdays (at VE) have become very busy and many people want to climb on other days. While all group members are free to start discussions, I figured that it would be easier if there was one thread people could check if they wanted to climb on a day not on the calendar.

So if you are want to climb on another day and looking for some company, go ahead and post it here.

Since these aren't official meetup events, you are on your own in the gym and participation is completely at your own risk: be picky who you climb with since anyone can post here, regardless of climbing/belaying ability (or lack thereof). I personally recommend that you only climb with people that you've met before. Make sure that you are comfortable with their belay technique before you start climbing, since this isn't something that you want to test "on the wall" and end up "on the floor." If you are a new climber, then you should attend one of the scheduled events instead, since this thread is intended to help people find climbing partners, not climbing students.

The old messages will be deleted so that this thread stays current.
A former member
Post #: 8
great advice about partners in general. i'm an outsider to the group 'cause i'm in charlotte but hope to get closer when the weather cools down. so read my advice in that context.

having climbed for years, 99% outside, i find the best partners have a great sense of humor, are fast twitch mentally, and should be pretty low key emotionally. you should get along well when you are NOT climbing. if those pieces fall in place, the climbing will take care of itself.

friends won't put friends at risk. we're all adults here and this analogy may be a stretch, but when you meet someone new, typically you don't immediately 'hook up.' you get to know someone well before you get 'on belay.' wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I have climbed with all kinds of partners in north america, europe and south america with great success. share a meal, a laugh, an adult beverage, and tell some really big lies. never talk politics or religion and then go climbing.

mark
Paul
ClimbingJedi
Arlington, VA
Post #: 20
Hi everyone,

Someone mentioned that the "front page" isn't updated when new messages are added to existing discussions. What I would suggest is to use the "Track this discussion" link at the bottom of this discussion. That way, if anybody adds a message indicating they want to climb this week (on a day with no "official" event), you will receive an e-mail.

Paul
A former member
Post #: 18
Anyone interested in going out to VECC tomorrow (7/17)? I'll be out there bouldering, unless anyone is around for top roping. email me at oombrella at gmail . com .
Kristine
Kristine_
Durham, NC
Post #: 136
Is anyone interested in climbing at the chapel hill rec center this Thursday and/or future Thursdays?
-Kristine
A former member
Post #: 22
Kristine,

I am interested in climbing on Thursday's at CH. I cannot go today...but next week would work. Let me know what time.

Talk to you later.
Kristine
Kristine_
Durham, NC
Post #: 138
Donna,
I think I'm going to make Thursdays at CH a regular thing...at least until Turkey Day. On Thursdays they are usually open 6:30-8:30, but lately they've been switching that up to 8:00-10:00 (without updating their website). So, it's best to call them before you go. Whatever the hours are each week, I'm going to try to be there as close to the full time as possible.
Kristine
A former member
Post #: 23
Sounds good Kristine....it looks like I will be an every other week Thursday climber (I have a late meeting now). I will see you hopefully on the 6th and 20th...but only for the early shift. I will take a look at their website...thanks.

Donna,
I think I'm going to make Thursdays at CH a regular thing...at least until Turkey Day. On Thursdays they are usually open 6:30-8:30, but lately they've been switching that up to 8:00-10:00 (without updating their website). So, it's best to call them before you go. Whatever the hours are each week, I'm going to try to be there as close to the full time as possible.
Kristine

Gene
user 2984236
Cary, NC
Post #: 21
I could make some Thursday climbing.
Kristine
Kristine_
Durham, NC
Post #: 140
Can't make it this Thursday...or next. Drats.