addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

CHICAGO RAW FOOD COMMUNITY! Message Board › come visit me at the Evanston Farmers Market - such amazing veggies and frui

come visit me at the Evanston Farmers Market - such amazing veggies and fruit!!!!

rawgirl A.
rawgirlchicago
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
those of you who make green smoothies, come to Henry's Farm Stand on Saturday btwn 8am and 1pm and i will show you the most amazing greens ever! i have been enjoying my green smoothies with purslane, lambsquarters, rhubarb, mizuna, cilantro, parsley, all kinds of kales......and my good farmer friends Chad and Danika have the most amazing organic strawberries ever. Pls I beg of you DONT shop at a regular grocery store - Take Advantage of the Farmers Markets!see you there!ariane
The Evanston Farmers Market is hidden behind the parking structure for the movie theatre, free parking. Henry's in now in the LAST row at the end come find me there and Chad is still in the 3rd row in the front.

note from Henry's:
At Henry's Vegetable Stand
LASTS:  Don't miss the things that are nearing the end of their season: Spring mustard greens, turnip greens, mizuna, and all the chois.  This is the peak week for sugar snaps, which will then fall precipitously.  The broccoli is still very nice, but we're also getting less and less  of it each week. This will by the last week for green garlic. And for all you rhubarb lovers, this is your last chance this year to indulge.

FIRST week for New Zealand Spinach, and it will most likely be the first and last week for the curly cue garlic scapes.

Henry's Whirling Dervish Kohlrabi

DON'T MISS . . .

Agretti and Oka-hijiki -- check out the Veggie Vitae.

The Amazing Tower of Beets! This is Henry's latest invention, a rival to The Amazing Wall of Lettuce, which will also be erected at the market again this week.  Come see both, and let us know which deserves to be one of the seven wonders of the vegetable world.

Kohlrabi – Henry declares this the best year ever for kohlrabi.  Because of all the rain, they are somewhere between baseball and softball sized, but don't let that scare you.  They have the taste and texture of the most delicate pingpong sized kohlrabi, and I can vouch for that, having just munched down a big one to keep me up and writing  this evening. Here's a great recipe for you (Kohlrabi-Yogurt Salad) from the Farm Fresh Now series I'm writing for The Land Connection.

Dill flowers – We introduced these crunchy bursts of flavor to you last year.  If you haven't tried them yet, pick some up and use the flowers as a seasoning -- in a salad, or sprinkled over vegetables or a soup.  Or try farmhand Val's recipe to the left.

Plus lots of beautiful fennel, kale, and carrots of many colors.

At Teresa's Stand - The Summer Fruit Explosion!

The jewel-like red currants are beautiful and delicious.

This is the week you'll see the last of the strawberries and the first of just about all of the rest of the summer berries...including:
Red raspberries - Boyne and Killarney
Black raspberries - Jewell
Red currants - Red Lake
White currants - Pink Champaigne
Black currants - Titania, Consort, and Blackdown
Gooseberries - Hinnomaki red, Hinnomaki Yellow, Invicta, Black velvet, and Anastasia's
Blueberries - Northland, Bluecrop, and Bluegold

http://www.blog.brock...­
--------------------------------
Lake Breeze Organics - strawberries, elephant garlic, sugar snap peas, incredible baby broccoli, beautiful French Butterhead lettuce, spring garlic, incredible Italian spinach, Toscano Kale, arugula, herbs facebook page for photos of the bounty!

Beautiful strawberries just keep on coming! To celebrate the abundance they will be on SALE 2 for $9 or 3 for $12. Eat one at the market and take a couple home with you! All greens will be priced at 1/$3 2/$5 or 5/$10.  At Lake Breeze Organics you can expect all greens to be washed, dried, and pre-chilled before coming to the market. This ensures that you will have the freshest longest lasting produce possible. Also, micro greens and heirloom lettuce heads are included in the greens sale.  lakebreezeorganics.com­.